From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMU vs. DAQ

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello to everyone, 

thanks in advance for all you can suggest to me.

I am wondering about the purchase of 2 SMUs vs. DAQ.

What is the real advantages of using a SMU instead of a multifunction data acquisition ?

(I have seen for example the NI X series Multifunction data acquisition systems).

G.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,342 Views)

They are two completely different types of equipment.  An SMU is a Source Measuring Unit.  You can think of it as a very precise power supply.  A DAQ is a Data Acquisition.  It only reads voltage, usually in many channels at a time.

So the real question is what are you trying to do?

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 5
(3,335 Views)

Hi

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,302 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author pogor

The problem you might have with the analog outputs of a DAQ is that they have a really small current limit.  I would use 2 SMUs for my input and a DMM to measure the output.  I am sure you can find an SMU with a lot lower voltage range.  Just a quick look and I see a PXIe-4144, which has 4 outputs at 6V, 500mA.  So I would go with that and a PXIe-4081 DMM.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 4 of 5
(3,297 Views)

Hi again Crossrulz, and thanks for the suggestion, that looks very very great...

It seems a very good solution...

G.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,272 Views)