From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCXI-1001 no longer recognizing modules

Hello,

I've got an SCXI-1001 that has recently stopped working. Last good test was in late December, no changes have been made to the system since then. When I turn the chasis on, the computer will only detect the modules for a few seconds, (that is, Auto-Detect will correctly detect the modules). After a few seconds, the chassis no longer recognizes the modules (Auto-Detect reports no modules present, not even the communicator in slot 1). My configuration is as follows:

Chassis: SCXI-1001

Mod1: SCXI-1600

Mod2: SCXI-1520 w/ SCXI-1314

Mod3: SCXI-1520 w/ SCXI-1314

Mod4: SCXI-1520 w/ SCXI-1314

Mod5: SCXI-1520

Mod6: SCXI-1520

Mod7: SCXI-1521B

Mod8: SCXI-1521B

Mod9: SCXI-1102

I have tried the following:

-Disconnect power, power back on-system OK for a few seconds, then fails to recognize anything

-Swap out USB cable connecting the 1600 to the PC-no change in problem

-Check fuses (two by power cable)-both OK

-Disconnect all accessory cards (the 1314's)-no change in problem

-Reset chassis-reset failed

-Reset configuration-no change in problem

I've attached the ni_support.zip file if that might be of help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,684 Views)

Hi MattatKU,

I'm a little confused.  Your MAX technical report shows the chassis and all the modules.  Did you make the report in the first few seconds when it was detecting everything?  

The steps you listed are all good things to try, and are what I would have done too.  The only other things I can think of would be to take the modules out of the chassis and try them individually.  Also, if you have another chassis you could test with, try the modules in there.  This could help isolate whether the problem is individual modules or the chassis itself.

Lastly, looking over your technical report, your PXI Platform Services is a little old, so you could try updating that.  Here's a link to a newer version: http://www.ni.com/download/pxi-platform-services-3.2.2/3835/en/

Julian R.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,662 Views)

Thanks! The report was made during the time when it was reading, so it shows everything. I just read there's a set of backplane fuses I need to check too, and I'll try pulling individual modules if those check out. I don't have another chassis to test on, unfortunately.  Thanks, and I'll post back with my findings (and a report with the chassis not detecting the modules, if that will help).

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,658 Views)

Sorry for the late reply-it took longer to get the backplane fuses than I was hoping. There was a backplane fuse blown.  I swapped it out, and it promptly blew again.  I was able to get it to not blow if I disconnected everything except the SCXI-1600.  Even then, it didn't seem like the chassis was being recognized-from the computer, it appeared as a SCXI-1600 not installed in a chassis.

I was able to find someone with another SCXI-1001 chassis. They let me borrow it for a while. Last Saturday, I installed everything and it worked perfectly-all of our modules were autodetected properly, and it recorded data just fine.  Today, that one also stopped working and is behaving just like ours. I figured a bad module would show up immediately, so I'm a bit confused here. Any thoughts? 

Thanks again for your time.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,533 Views)

Hey,

Sounds to me like the chassis is having some power problems when it is fully loaded with cards. I think it would be safe to send the faulty chassis in for an RMA request. The easiest way for you to accomplish this would be to call in to our support line and an AE will be happy to help you process it. 

Our support line is 866-275-6964.

Matt W.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,522 Views)

Respected Sir,

I am currently facing the same issue. I have SCXI-1000 chassis with single SCXI-1520-1314 module and terminal. It was working fine yesterday. Suddenly the module is not detected today.

If you have resolved the issue then kindly suggest me the solution.

Thanking you.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,320 Views)

I'd check both sets of fuses-power and backplane. That's usually what did it for me. In the case above, there was an internal short in one of the modules that caused fuses to blow, but that's not what I'd start out assuming.

Message 7 of 8
(2,318 Views)

Respected Sir,

I thank you very much for the help. This helped me a lot to figure out the issue. I also had the same problem. My Back panel fuse behind the fan was blown due a faulty voltage regulating chip in the module SCXI-1520. After replacing them both, everything is working good.

I thank you once again as this solution was a life saver for me. Thank you so much.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,308 Views)