Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renaming cRIO-9081 with MAX 5.5

Solved!
Go to solution

We have several cRIO-9081s.  We deployed two last year and are deploying at least 4 more this year.  The ones deployed last year are running MAX 5.4 and we were able to give them an alias so that our code could work on both systems.

The 4 new ones are running MAX 5.5.  There is no option to rename them or give them an alias so they match the older machines. 

Why does MAX 5.5 not allow us to create an alias?  Is there a new version of MAX that allows us to make the alias?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(5,442 Views)

Can you post a screen shot of what you are refering too and are you running LabVIEW Real-Time or Windows on your target?

cRIOs don't tend to have aliases, just hostnames and you can't have to systems on your network with the same hostname.  That is a networking limitation, not an NI limitation.  

If the target is running LVRT you can change the hostname from MAX.  If it is running Windows you will to change the hostname using the standard Windows tools.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(5,439 Views)

Here is a screenshot of MAX 5.5.  We are running Windows on the cRIO.  My laptops explorer is have trouble and it won't let me attach a second screenshot.  So I will do another reply with a screenshot of MAX 5.4.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(5,434 Views)

Here is the MAX 5.4 screenshot.  You can see that there is an option to give the RIO an alias.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(5,433 Views)

It doesn't look like either went through.  Also what version of NI-RIO do you have installed on each system?  If I had to guess I would say that you have an older version of NI-RIO that doesn't support configuring the alias with MAX's new right-hand views.  

Upgrading NI-RIO would probably fix the issue, but there should be a second tab on the bottom to switch the MAX 5.5 view to the older NI-RIO settings were you can change the alias.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(5,423 Views)

IE was having trouble, so I am using Firefox to try and attach the files.

ALL cRIOs are running 1.0.1f0 firmware.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(5,394 Views)

Hi  Paul,

I looked at your pictures, the one from MAX 5.5 shows that you have RIO 13.0.Do you have the same version on the MAX 5.4 machine?

You could try resetting the MAX database following this steps

Also I noticed that you are looking at the cRIO under Devices and Interfaces, are you able to look at it under Remote Systems?
Regards,

Sil.VI
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(5,373 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Paul_Knight_Lockheed_Mart

I wouldn't waste your time resetting your MAX database.  That isn't the problem and unfortunately it gets over prescribed as a fix.  It looks to me as if you have the NI-RIO runtime, but not the configuration support installed on the second machine.

In the past, MAX wouldn't show the device at all if the configuration support wasn't installed, howeve 5.5 now always shows the device but you may be missing some of the configuration views if you do have the devices configuration support installed.

The safest thing would be to install the full NI-RIO and make sure you select the CompactRIO support.

http://www.ni.com/download/ni-rio-14.5/5129/en/

There may be a smaller distribution somewhere that includes what you need, however I know this one has it all.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(5,364 Views)

Hello Paul,

Based on your MAX screenshots, it looks like you have the CompactRIO runtime but not the NI-RIO runtime. This is not a normal state for your system. I would echo Joshua's recommendation to install the NI-RIO Device Drivers distribution. Note that if you update to 14.5 your version of MAX will update.

Alternately, you can send us a MAX technical report (see http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/DDF39729A407BFC1862578F7007807A3?OpenDocument) and we could look at what software you installed to your cRIO-9081.

Colden
Message 9 of 12
(5,347 Views)

I suspect at some point you installed the CompactRIO Runtime but already had the NI-RIO driver on your system through some other means before you installed MAX. If you simply uninstall NI-RIO then reinstall the CompactRIO Runtime (or whatever you originally used to get it), this would add your missing MAX configuation pieces.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(5,335 Views)