Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rate limitation for finite acquisition with PCI-MIO-16E-4?

Hi,

I'm currently developing an application in C# using: framework 4.5, Windows 7, NationalInstruments.DAQmx.dll version 9.9.45.39, PCI-MIO-16E-4.

My application uses the internal clock to acquire the voltage from two input channels. It is a finite acquisition and I can choose the number of samples and the rate. My problem is for high rates (like 100kHz), I don't get all the samples. During the acquisition, I also display the data already acquired.

How I do:

I create a task with my two channels.

I configure the sample clock with the rate and the number of samples.

I use the SampleClockEventHandler even to display each data during the acquisition.

I use the TaskDoneEventHandler event to know when my acquisition is finished.

My application works well for low rates ( < 50 kHz). The problem is If I run the application for instance with a rate = 100kHz, I am not able to acquire more than 60% of the total amount of data asked (if I ask for 10 samples I get 6, 100 ->60, 1000->600,...).

Each time, my task sends the "done" event without error.

Would you have any idea of the origin of this limitation? With the PCI-MIO-16E-4 and two channels the maximum rate is suppose to be 125kHz.

What is the link between the rate and the number of samples?

I have the same problem if even if I don't display the data during the acquisition.

I tried also not to use the buffer with the command myTask.Stream.Buffer.InputBufferSize = 0. In this case I can acquire 98% of the number of samples. But if I ask more than 1000 samples, the program get stuck with the error:

"A first chance exception of type 'NationalInstruments.DAQmx.DaqException' occurred in NationalInstruments.DAQmx.dll"

Thanks for you help.

Sélim

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,749 Views)

A good troubleshooting step would be to find a shipping example code that is closest to your application and see if the results are the same when you increase the sampling rate. 

RF R&D
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,717 Views)

Hi,

I didn't find an example using the SampleClockEventHandler event. Instead I found several examples using a callback and an asynchronous read operation.

So, I tried with the asynchronous reader : BeginReadSingleSample and with a callback to get all my data.

This method solves partially my problem. For a small amount of samples (<1000) I can acquire all my data even for the high rates (>10kHz).

But if I increase the number of samples, the acquisition get slower and slower even for low rates (<500Hz). How the number of samples is connected with the speed of the callback?

Thanks

Sélim

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,700 Views)

The acquisition could be slowing down because your pc can't read single data points fast enough. Could you try to read multiple data points rather than single data points?

RF R&D
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,685 Views)