From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pulse Generation

With Labwindows CVI, I want to create 4 pulses on high level of gate output:
__|--------------|___ Gate
__|-|_|-|_|-|_|-|______ Output

I tried to use DelayedPulseGenConfig and ContinuousPulseGenConfig starting counting on rising edge but with both functions, I only have 1 pulse after each rising edge.
__|------------|_______
__|-|__________________

I woud prefer have pulses until I call CountingStop or starting again with next rising edge. Is there a problem with this function or what kind of function could I use to do this?
Thanks!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,934 Views)
Hello,

First I would like to know the version of your sofware and the board you use to generate the pulse.

Did you choose the correct 'Gate Mode' parameter :
'Count While Gate High'?

Regards

Marc Larue
Applications Engineer
NIF
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,934 Views)
I use CVI 5.01 and NiDAQ 7 with a PCI MIO16E board.
When I chose 'Count While Gate High', the problem is that pulses are not synchronized with gate squared signal. So I tried to use 'Start counting on rising edge'. Then, the pulse generated is synchronized but I have only one pulse!
The problem is that I want to generate 4 synchronized pulses...
Thanks for help
Steph
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,934 Views)
Hello,

There is an example you could use to generate your finite pulse train :
http://sine.ni.com/apps/we/niepd_web_display.display_epd4?p_guid=B91BAB557A753EF2E034080020E74861&p_node=DZ52146&p_source=External

regards

Marc Larue
Applications Engineer
NIF
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,934 Views)
Hi!
Thank you for your answer. I am very close to what I want to do because I can now generate a pulse train on counter 0 synchronized with a pulse generated by counter 1. My problem is that I want to synchronize counter 0 pulses with an external signal. I tried to connect it to Counter 0 gate and I changed some configurations but it does not work. Do you know THE parameter I should change to use this external signal? Is it possible to do this?
Thanks for all.
Steph
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,934 Views)
Hello,

You have to connect your external signal on the gate of the counter 1 and to change the parameter 'Application' of the GPCTR_Set_Application function to '1 Trig Pulse Gen' instead of '1 Pulse Gen'.

Regards

Marc Larue
Applications Engineer
NIF
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,934 Views)
Hi!
Me again!!
We tried this yesterday be the only thing we could do is to synchonise 1 pulse on external signal (gate of counter 1). We want to create, on gate of couter 0, with counter 1, one pulse for each pulse of synchro signal, in order to have few pulses for each syncro signal on output of counter 0.
We want :

__|--------------|___________|-------------|___synchro

__|-|_|-|_|-|_|-|____________|-|_|-|_|-|_|-|__out ctr0

And we obtain

__|--------------|___________|-------------|___synchro

__|-|_|-|_|-|_|-|____________________________out ctr0

Maybe we forgot a parameter... How to say to counter 1 that it has to synchronize with an external signal on gate?
Thanks
Regards,
Steph
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,934 Views)
Hello,

You have to use 'Retrig Pulse Gen' instead of '1 Trig Pulse Gen' for the parameter 'Application' of the GPCTR_Set_Application function.

Regards

Marc Larue
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,934 Views)
We tried this yesterday also but with bad parameters and we thought it did not work.
But, thanks to you, we tried again and... IT IS OK!!!!
Merci beaucoup pour votre aide!!
Steph
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,934 Views)