From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Protect Analog Inputs from overvoltage X series

I want to protect X series (6320) analog inputs from overvoltage.  The inputs have a maximum impedance of 100k (usually lower).  It can happen that one or two of the inputs are connected to 70 volts. This can happen with the computer on or off. I want to protect the DAQ card from overvoltage damage. It doesn’t matter what the card returns when the voltage is out of range.

I don’t want to load the input when the voltage is between 0 and 10 volts.

http://www.ni.com/datasheet/pdf/en/ds-152

From this document, the specifications are:

Maximum working voltage for analog inputs (signal + common mode)     ±11 V of AI GND

Input impedance  Device on  AI+ to AI GND                                                         >10 GΩ in parallel with 100 pF

Input impedance  Device off  AI+ to AI GND                                                        1200 Ω

Overvoltage protection (AI <0..31>, AI SENSE, AI SENSE 2)  Device on      ±25 V for up to two AI pins

Overvoltage protection (AI <0..31>, AI SENSE, AI SENSE 2)  Device off     ±15 V for up to two AI pins

Input current during overvoltage condition ±20 mA max/AI pin                  ±20 mA max/AI pin

How can I protect the DAQ card?  A 10K resistor in series with the AI input, would limit current  to 7 ma. This should handle the device off situation. 10K should be insignificant compared to the 10 GΩ input impedence of the DAQ. A Zener diode could clamp the voltage but I am concerned about the leakage current.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,617 Views)

There is also the option of using an Op-Amp to act as a buffer between your circuit and the DAQ.  In power inputs of the Op-Amp will limit the output voltage, protecting the DAQ.  Just find one that can handle high out of range voltages.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,603 Views)