Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem using USB-6356 on Real-Time Target

Solved!
Go to solution

I am trying to use the NI USB-6356 on a single-board computer that I have converted to a LabVIEW RT target. I have created a LabVIEW RT project with the Continuous Communication Architecture template. However, when I select RT Target > New > NI-DAQmx Channel, the wizard says "No support devices found".

Here is what I have done so far:

1. Installed Real-Time Support on the host computer.
  2. Installed NI-DAQmx 15.5.1 on the RT target (it is visible when I expand "Software" under the RT target in MAX). See Fig1.png and Fig2.png.
  3. Verified that the NI USB-6356 appears in max under RT Target > Devices and Interfaces. See Fig3.png.

Even though the NI USB-6356 shows up in MAX, it seems suspicious that it appears as a generic USB device (similar to the keyboard and mouse that are connected to the RT target). Perhaps it shows up this way because it is connected to an RT target, but it seems like it is not being recognized as a DAQmx device. I am just not sure how to get the RT target to recognize it as a DAQmx device, given that the proper drivers, etc. are installed on the host computer and RT target.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,154 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Owen_Malinowski

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but USB DAQ devices (other than USB cDAQs) are not supported on PharLap targets at this time. The documentation could definitely be clearer, so I'll be updating that soon to reduce confusion on this topic.  The clearest thing we currently have is this White Paper, last updated in 2014.  It is also explained in Q5 of this KB, but the wording there is definitely a bit unclear.

I'm not sure of any workaround other than swapping your 6356 for a USB cDAQ system or moving to a non-RT OS.

Cody A.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,102 Views)

Cody,

Thank you for answering. I wasn't too surprised to learn that the USB-6356 is not supported on PharLap targets, but I  wanted to be sure that this was the case. I considered cDAQ (which doesn't have the throughput that I need) and other NI hardware platforms. I need high throughput (8+ AI channels with at least 2 MS/s/ch) and I would like to be running a RTOS, but I want to avoid PXI/PXIe. The only option left (that I am aware of) is a third-pary SBC converted to a PharLap real-time target plus DAQmx compatible PCI card(s).

Regards,

Owen

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,085 Views)