From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance issues with 12x simulantenous LIN communication?

Hey,

we are using Labview 2014, XNet / Windows 7.

We have to run 12 parallel LIN restbus simulations with cDAQs - we did not decide yet which chassis and modules to use.

Are there any possible performance issues we have to think about? Limitations on cDAQs? Will this lead to significant CPU load?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,873 Views)

Hi flowsch1,

you would have to consider the that the USB is a serial bus and this might be an issue when you try to simulate 12 LIN restbusses.

The CPU load depends on the CPU you use but I would asume that it is not that high using an modern Core i5 or i7 CPU or similar.

For using 12 LIN Ports I would recommend you not to use cDAQ.

You should better use an PXIe-Chassis with the PXIe-8510/6.

PXIe-8510/6 - National Instruments
http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/de/nid/213671

With this you will have six LIN Ports on one device and you only need two of them instead of six NI 9860 for your cDAQ.

Plus, the PCI-Bus used by the PXI System is much faster than the USB and will result in a lower CPU load and better response time.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Work with NI Hard- and Software for about 15 years now.

Certified LabVIEW Developer & TestStand Developer/Architect

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,844 Views)

Thank you.

As it's an industrial field we want to mount the devices to profile/top-hat rails, so we prefer cDAQ.

The cDAQ 9184 an ethernet chassis (we are not using USB at all in industrial environments).

But yes, also from costs your suggested PXI solution would make sense. Thanks for input!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,840 Views)

In an industial field what kind of computer do you plan to use?

A "normal" Desktop should not be used than. 

A PXI System can be purchased with a PXI Controller that is a full featured Computer for the industrial PXI environment and might be the better solution than a cDAQ depending on the environment you plan to use it.

Maybe you should get in contact with our Sales Team to get a solution based on your requirements.

Work with NI Hard- and Software for about 15 years now.

Certified LabVIEW Developer & TestStand Developer/Architect

There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,837 Views)

Of course we are not using desktop computers.

We are using Beckhoff industrial computers (i5, i7).

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,834 Views)