From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not getting change in natural frequency due to change in structural stiffness

hi all,
I am using SCXI-1531, SCXI-1000 for frequency measurement along with LabView 7.1 . I want to see the change in natural frequency of pipe due to development of a crack. But in my expt I am not getting proper change. Change obtained is very less than I got by the FFT on the same pipe. So please anyone can advise on the same?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,958 Views)
Maybe your FFT resolution isn't small enough. Acquire for a longer period of time to increase the resolution of your FFT. How much change are you expecting in the natural frequency?
Randall Pursley
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,952 Views)
I am using SCXI-1520 and LabView for frequency measurement. I have used FFT instrument earlier for same purpose. But now I am not getting change in natural frequency which I get from earlier. In 4mm thickness pipe for a crack of 3 mm depth, second or third natural frequency should change at least by 5-6 Hz. But I am getting only by 1 or max 2.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,943 Views)
Can you post your vi and data?
Randall Pursley
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,940 Views)
Hi mech: I agree with Randall about the resolution issue. Resolution is equal to 2 X WindowFactor X Fmax / NumberofLines.
WindowFactor equals 1 for Rectangular (no window), 1.5 for Hanning and 3.5 for Flat Top.
If you are displaying multiples of 400 lines then, for example, for a 800 line spectrum with Fmax = 1 kHz and a Hanning window, your resolution will be 3.75 Hz. This value is not to be confused with "cursor jump" or delta frequency indication. Assuming you use 1 pixel per line, one cursor jump will have a delta frequency value of 1000 Hz / 800 lines = 1.25 Hz / line
Resolution will be increased if you lower Fmax or increase number of lines. We are assuming you are using a suitable Anti Alias filter.
Data points needed for a 800 line spectrum is 2048 points (Fmax X 2.56)
Regards and Happy Holidays, Eduardo Murphy
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,936 Views)
Dear Sir,
I have constructed this VI as per instructions given by NI person. I am forwarding it to you for your help. In this no of points taken are 10000 and sampling frequency is 3000. Window used is Hanning.

Thanking you,
Nandkumar.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,930 Views)