Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ni-DAQ mx global channels versus physical channels in Labview 7.1

How do you use the global channel names from M.E. with NI DAQmx? Right now, I can only use the physical channel name, hence I cannot gain the benefits of the virtual channel setup (primarily different scalings for my voltage input DAQ application).

I am using "NI-DAQmx create channel" now. How do you wire in the global channel names? Been looking on the site and help files, but to no avail..... it doesn't work like old Lab 6.1.

If you can post the code, I would be appreciative....
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(4,384 Views)
Hey Slicked,

It sounds like you are just trying to get started with using Global Channels or Tasks in NI-DAQmx. You can find much more information by going to Help > MAX Help and searching for 'global channel'. Doing that will then direct you to the DAQ Assistant Help which can be found by opening MAX and going to Help > Help Topics > NI-DAQmx > DAQ Assistant. You can type in 'global channel' there and you will find much more information than I can possibly relate in a post.

Since this sounds like your first time using the Global Channels or Tasks I will give you a quick 'how to':
  1. Open Measurement and Automation Explorer (MAX)
  2. Expand the My System tree so that you can see Data Neighborhood
  3. Right click on Data Neighborhood and select Create New...
  4. Select either a NI-DAQmx Global Channel or a NI-DAQmx Task*
  5. Choose which type of channel and which physical channel you want to use
  6. Click Finish and Test the channel to make sure everything works
  7. You can then use the Task or Channel in LabVIEW by using a DAQmx Task Name Control or a DAQmx Global Channel Control (found in the Controls > All Controls > I/O > NI-DAQmx subpalette)
For more details make sure to check out the help file mentioned above.

*The difference between a Global Channel and a Task is that a Global Channel does not have any timing or sampling information related to it.

Best of luck getting your system up and running,
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(4,359 Views)