From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI9219, NI9221 with 0-5Vdc pressure transducer connection help!

Hi, I am pretty new at connecting DAQs and have questions

I have this PX309 Transducer with three wires, (please refer to pic1 boxed in red) which I am planning on connecting to NI9219 or NI9221 (pic2).

I did connected a full bridged transducer to NI9219 before with manual scale.

But I am now lost how I can connect PX309 (pic1) to either NI9219 or NI9221.

My transducer has Ex+, EX-, and Output+ but none of the manual has one with three connections...

I would like to connect this to NI9219 if possible. 

I tried to see if I am receiving any signals by trying NIMAX explorer (pic3) and even connection diagram shown there only has two wires and I am lost. Can anyone help me how I can figure this out?

Thank you

pic1.png

pic2.png

pic3.png

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,969 Views)

Also, my transducer spec says, the out put is 0 to 5 Vdc 

but in the configuration, is it correct to range the signal input as Min=0 and Max=5 like shown in the picuture? or should I range it from -5 to +5?

Thank youpic3.png

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,955 Views)

Hey bricekim88,

First of all, the 9219 probably isn't the best module to use for your application.  There isn't one mode setting that you can use to accomplish an excitation and an analog read.  After saying that, you may be able to accomplish what you're trying to do by using two channels.  One channel would be set to one of the modes on the table (pic 2 Table 2) that supplies an excitation volatage and the other would take in the readings from your PX309.  If you're able to get that to work you may be able to modify one of the modes (possibly 4 wire RTD) to work as you want it to.  You may also try using a power supply to supply your PX309 with the required excitation voltage and only use one channel to measure your pressure readings.  

Also, you can use -5 to 5V in MAX if you want so that you can be sure to see your signal.  If it appears to only be falling between 0 and 5 volts then you can change that setting in your test panel.

Taylor
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,918 Views)

Thank you very much for the reply,

then would I plugin my white output (+) wire if I were to use 4 wire RTD?

shoudl I plugit in at the Terminal 4?

I can get an external power supply to provide excitation for the thermocouple.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,914 Views)

Hey bricekim88,

After doing some more research it turns out that you can probably use the 9219 to do what you want.  I'm including a document that has some instructions on how to create the correct NI MAX task and how to hook up your transducer to the 9219.  This example uses the excitation sourced from the 9219 but if you want to use an external source for you excitation you can modify the task to allow that.  Hopefully this helps.

Taylor
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,892 Views)

What version of DAQmx allows for the 'Voltage Input with Excitation' DAQmx Task?  I get an error when I try to use 'None' as the Bridge Type (it says Full Bridge and Half Bridge are the only valid entries).  I need excitation of 0-10Vdc for a pressure transducer with a 0-100mV pressure signal back (Kulite IPT-4N-750HT-5000A Downhole Pressure Transducer).

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(1,867 Views)