Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI USB-X 6353 AO 0 generates signal unintentionally

Yesterday, while I was working with NI USB-X 6353, I realized that the analog output channel 0 generates voltage reluctantly. When I reseted the device, it started generating signal immediately again, even if I do not run any vi. I checked the other 3 AO channels and I see that they do not show the same behaviour. It is a weird situation I think. Is it a default feature for the AO 0 for this daq? If it is not, what could be the problem with the device?

Egemen
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(5,001 Views)

Hi newbieeng,

I was checking the datasheet of this specific device and this is not a common behaviour. Before I can help can you please answer the following questions:

-What were you doing when the problem occured?

-Where the device working properly before?

-What is the hardware/software setup?

-What is the output voltage from AO 0 that you are getting? (This is to see if there is noise).

Also just as a test, can you create a task in NI MAX for this AO 0 to create a specific wave to see if the extra voltage appears.

Regards,

Jordan

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(4,970 Views)

Hi jred101,

-I was running a vi which generates finite analog voltage with the amplitude of +5V for 1.2 ms (416.67 Hz, 5V, %50 duty cycle, duration: 2.3 ms). I attached the vi for the check.

generated signal.bmp

-Before me, there is someone was using it, however, it is not possible to contact with him. SO I do not know the previous behaviour of it.

-I use NI USB-X 6353 AO 0 channel connected a transistor which is connected to spark plug driver (ignition coil pack) to spark. There is no problem is detected for the connections in terms of hardware. As a software, I use Labview 2012 v12.0 with Win 7 SP1.

-I will measure it as soon as I get the device on tomorrow.

-I will check it with NI MAX too.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Egemen
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,956 Views)

Hi jred101,

I have just measured the analog output signal after opening the device with the same device analog input channel 0 (I wired AO + to AI 0 + and AO 0 GND to AO -). The left signal is measured from AI 1 without the AO generation, the right one indicates the case AO generation exists (+5V). It seems that AO 0 does not respond the vis. I attached the VIs that I got these images.

P.S. I could not find the multimeter in our lab, that's why I use the device for measurements.

With and without AO 0 generation.png

Egemen
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(4,941 Views)

Hi newbieeng,

I saw the result from attachments in the previous posts and it clearly shows the extra voltage. To make sure can you please send me a screenshot of the configuation you used for the Continous Input VI. Additionally, can you please try the same physical connections as before, but instead of using LabVIEW use the Test Panel from the NI MAX and send the screenshot as well. This is just as second reference to see if behaviour of this output.

Regards,

Jordan

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(4,923 Views)

Hi jred101,

I am sending what you wanted to me below. Sorry for the delay.

The configuration of the "Continuous Input VI":

Screenshot 2015-06-22 11.11.36.png

NI-MAX Test Panel screenshot:

Screenshot 2015-06-22 11.14.07.png

Egemen
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,885 Views)

Hi jred101,

Yesterday, I was running the device for generation voltage from AO 2 & 3 (one pulse, 50% duty cycle, amplitude: 5V -from 5V to 0V-, frequency:416.67 Hz, time: 0.0023 s -the same signal in the third post-), I realized that AO 2 stopped but AO 3 did not. I thought there is the same problem for the AO 3 channel.

Egemen
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,865 Views)

Do you have back EMF supression across that ignition coil? If not, that could be what looks like is making your AO hardware to fail.

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(4,853 Views)

Hi newbieeng,

I was looking at the Test Panel screenchot you sent me and I can't see the extra 5v, the changes in voltages are extremely small and seems as regular noise. I strongly recommend you to use the Test Panel again, ucnheck the auto-scale box and change the scale of the graph to check. If you keep seeing the an odd behaviour the next step would be call NI support to proceed with an RMA.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,845 Views)

Hello AK2DM,

I do not about the ignition coil too much and also about circuits. I am not familiar with electric/electronics stuff 😕 Do you mean "electromagnetic field" with EMF?

Hi jred101,

I did as you said, you can see the screenshot below. Unfortunately, there is nothing changes 😕 I think there is a program with AO 0.

Screenshot 2015-06-24 13.34.02.png

Egemen
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,822 Views)