From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI 9205 Common

I have a NI 9205 card and I am doing a differential measurement across a resistor and I get random jumps of about 40mV without a ground or common on the COM connection of the card. Can you explain the reason for this since the measurement is suppose to be a differential measurement and should not require a common connection?

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(6,584 Views)

Even differential measurements need a reference to ground.  Otherwise you are just opening yourself up to weird ground bound noise like you are seeing.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(6,577 Views)

If it is just noise wouldn't taking a differential measurement null that effect?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(6,565 Views)

@clachankid wrote:

If it is just noise wouldn't taking a differential measurement null that effect?

No.  I recommend you just read this article: Noisy Readings on the NI 9205

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 4 of 9
(6,557 Views)

Hi,

Tie in a 1 MOhm resistor between AI- and COM and see if it helps.

This way you still have a diff. measurement because a lot of current cannot flow to COM and at the same time you are keeping the input within the common mode range.

Best regards

Matej Zorko

/* A smart device is only as smart (stupid) as its programmer. */
Message 5 of 9
(6,534 Views)

Adding the ground to COM actually fixed the problem, but my understanding of differential measurement is that this is not necessary. Like a DMM does not need a ground to make a measurement. So I'm not sure of the benefit of taking a Differential measurement with this card you could simply take a Single ended and have more inputs.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(6,522 Views)

@clachankid wrote:

Adding the ground to COM actually fixed the problem, but my understanding of differential measurement is that this is not necessary. Like a DMM does not need a ground to make a measurement. So I'm not sure of the benefit of taking a Differential measurement with this card you could simply take a Single ended and have more inputs.

Well, this card is actually taking two Single Ended inputs and the driver is doing the subtraction for you to make it differential.  It is a way of simplifying your software.

GCentral
Message 7 of 9
(6,516 Views)

Thank you that clarifies what is happening.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(6,514 Views)

It's also worth noting that Differential mode allows for measuring the difference of two signals with some common mode voltage on an input range of less than the full common mode, increasing the resolution of the measurement between the two signals.  For instance, you could use the ±1V input range to measure between a 8V and 8.5V signal instead of measuring each with a ±10V single ended measurement.  You'd just need to ground the COM to the ground of the common mode voltage.

Seth B.
Principal Test Engineer | National Instruments
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Certified TestStand Architect
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(6,506 Views)