Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Module for pressure sensor

Hi,

I'm searching for a module that will be able to work well with a TSU series pressure sensor by Seiko-Epson.

The spec is:

Frequency Range: 4K-39KHz

Output voltage: 3.2Vpp clipped sine DC cut

Output load: 600 Ohm

Supply Voltage: 12V

Current consumption: 2mA

Thanks!

Nitsan Gonen
Application Engineer
NI Israel
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,976 Views)

Well, whoever wrote that datasheet should be shot.  It fails to provide any useful data about how the output signal varies with input pressure.

I am guessing that the output variable is the frequency. I would interpret the datasheet diffferently from the way you did. I see the frequency changing by a maximum of 4 kHz from the 39 kHz nominal as opposed to a range from 4 to 39 kHz. Whether up or down or both is not indicated.

Who knows what a "clipped sine DC cut" is???  The DC part makes one think that the signal may be offset from zero in some way, while a peak to peak specification often implies (but does not require) a balanced signal. If the signal varies from 0 to +3.2 V  as a half wave rectified sine, it is very different from a 10 Vpp sine wave which is symmetrically clipped at +/-1.6 V. 

And how you measure the signal depends on all those details.

You could purchase an analog input module which can handle the voltage and freqeuncy ranges and then post process whatever signal appears in software to get the frequency and from that the pressure. Or you can figure out what the signal is, buy or build a signal conditioning circuit which prodcues nice clean digital pulses at the same frequency, and then use a counter module to get the frequency.

Lynn

Message 2 of 4
(3,966 Views)

@johnsold wrote:

Well, whoever wrote that datasheet should be shot.  It fails to provide any useful data about how the output signal varies with input pressure.

Lynn

Lynn it' a product flyer, not a datasheet.

I like the 'Linearity, after linearization' 🙂

I would guess that any DAQ board with a counter should do the job , maybe a C for decoupling, a diode for a level shift and a resistor....  depending on the actual output (seen on a scope) 

BTW with 96kHz samplerate , a voltage divider , decoupling capacitor,  a soundcard with tone detection is also a way to do it 😉 but you would loose the 'linearity' and accuracy since the soundcard oscillator is usually worse.

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,956 Views)

Henrik,

I figure that anything claiming to include specifications is a datasheet, especially when it does not include any disclaimer or any reference to more detailed information.

Note that the mechanical drawing is just as bad: it fails to specify the diameter of the mounting holes.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,934 Views)