Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measuring strain gauge with NI 9234

I have a strain gauge with resistance around 3k ohms. I was wondering would it be possible to measure the signal variation with NI 9234 using its 2mA constant current supply? Are there any issues that could surface regarding sensitivity etc?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,751 Views)

Hi there,

I am from the Application Engineering department at National Instruments. I hope I can offer you some assistance with your question.

Firstly, the NI 9234 isn't designed to be typically used fo strain gauge measurements as it does not feature common requirements, e.g bridge configuration, excitation voltage source, remote sensing, signal conditioning etc. Although it is possible for it to be used it would generally require a bit of work and would not necessarily give you the best result. In other words, there is no reason why you can create your own bridge configuration and apply an external excitation voltage source however we would advise you to use a device designed for that particular purpose.

The article below explains more about typical strain gauge configurations used to best measure strain. It also advises a few different devices for this particular type of measurement. 

Measuring Strain with Strain Gages

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/3642/en/

Let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks,

Josh

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,705 Views)