From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max Voltage difference between AI_Sense and AI_Sense_2 on PXIe-6363?

I was wondering how I can find the maximum voltage difference allowable between the AI_SENSE and AI_SENSE_2 pins on the PXIe-6363?  

I need to measure a group of 16 ground referenced signals, several signals referenced to approximately -8V, and a signal that is ground referenced.  The -8V reference is the most negative voltage, so this shouldn't exceed the +/-10V max voltage, so I should be safe in that regard.  I was planning on doing the following:

1. Connecting the group of 16 to the 16 AI in connector 0, setting them all the NRSE or RSE.  If NRSE, then AI_SENSE would be connected to 0V.
  2. Connecting the -8V referenced signals to the AI pins of connector 1, and connecting the AI_SENSE_2 to -8V, and setting it to NRSE.
  3. Connecting the remaining ground referenced signal to AI pins in differential setting.

Is this setup OK?

Thanks in advance,

Seth

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,181 Views)

Accodring to the device specifications sheet:

Maximum working voltage for analog inputs (and sense) (signal + common mode) ±11 V of AI GND

Overvoltage protection for all analog input and sense channels

Device on ±25 V for up to two AI pins

Device off ±15 V for up to two AI pins

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,147 Views)

Hey all, I would also like to share a new project we've been working on to help explain NI DAQ specifications.  Hopefully this helps.  We'll be glad to take feedback for that page and if it helped answer this question on the link found at the top and bottom of that page.

Specifications Explained: NI Multifunction I/O (MIO) DAQ - http://www.ni.com/product-documentation/53090/en/

Paul Davidson
National Instruments
Product Owner - ni.com Chat
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,124 Views)

Sebas: So the specification I'm reading doesn't have the "(and sense)" part.  Specifically, the document link is http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/374651c.pdf.  I'm assuming that's the case, but I would prefer to have that verified.  

Paul, thanks for the link, but unfortunately, it doesn't address the sense lines. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,109 Views)