Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MIO 6030E ( PCI-MIO-16XE-10 ) : help needed : RSE instead of Differential.

I fiddled around quite some hours now with my new 6030E ( PCI-MIO-16XE-10 ).
I feel this is a terrific card with a myriad of possibilities, though a bit too slow ( 100 kS/s )and I may buy its much faster successor.
I need this one for building a Multi Channel Radiation Spectrum Analyzer ( for discerning alpha, beta and gamma particle and quanta radiation in its energy levels ).

My 6030E runs under LabView 7.1 and NI-DAQ 7.
In MAX my DAQ card passes all tests flawlessly.
In Labview I can run several Example .vi's ( as supplied in LabView Help/Examples/Hardware IO/Traditional DAQ etcetera.
I also can use the DAQ Assistant in all of its features.

Still 2 questions please :

While running the example in LabView 7.1/Help/Examples/Hardware_I/O/Traditional_DAQ/General/ " Cont Acq&Chart (buffered ).vi " I fail in configuring the AI input for RSE.
It is default configured for Differential.
I altered the sub.vi " AI config.vi " ( which offers the choice in Differential/RSE/NRSE ) from default Differential into RSE, saved this (sub).vi, started the main.vi " Cont Acq&Chart (buffered).vi " anew but, whatever I try, the said .vi keeps the default " differential " input.
Obviously, I do oversee something.
What ?

Having attached my signal source onto hardware AI channel #7, whatever I try, on the FP it doesn't make any difference which " channel # " I click ( left small up/down choice ) and in the righthand rolldown " channel " menu, nothing is in there ( blank, i.e. no channel choice at all).
What did I do wrong ?
Whichever channel I click ( AI 0/15 ), all channels respond in displaying the input sgnal while only channel AI #7 has an input signal.

BTW : in MAX both of my problems are not there.
In MAX/Testpanels I can choose the right AI input channel #7 whereas other channels do not respond ( is OK ).
Also, in MAX/Testpanels I can see my signal in RSE or Differential whatever I want.
So, my two problems are really confined to the " Cont Acq&Chart (buffered ).vi i.e. the sub.vi " AI config.vi ".

Please don't ask me why I prefer - in this case - RSE above Differential.
I do know the related pro's and cons.
I just want RSE for this application.

I have plenty of documentation on the E series in general and on the 6030E in particular, but I can't resolve my questions myself as yet.

Please realize I am a very beginner in NI-DAQ ( though, having some more experience in NI-GPIB & LabView which work very fine for me.

Thanks for any help

Peter van Daalen.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,712 Views)
I would advice you to start using NI-DAQmx instead of Traditional DAQ. Traditional DAQ is the 'old' driver. NI has started to develop a new driver for doing Data Acquisition. for more information take a look at this:
http://zone.ni.com/devzone/conceptd.nsf/webmain/B1C2A3BC3228AEA186256D2500640D52?opendocument

It's much easier to us the API of NI-DAQmx, this includes choosing the terminal configuration (Diff, RSE, NRSE). For a overview of the most used VI see:
http://zone.ni.com/devzone/conceptd.nsf/webmain/40522a58794a358b86256e7b006b8d69?OpenDocument

There is a input on the 'DAQmx Create Virtual Channel.vi' called 'input terminal configuration' you can set this to Diff, RSE, NRSE.

Hope this helps

Met vriendelijke groet / Kind regards,

Karsten
NI
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,688 Views)