NI-DNET 1.4.1f4
NI-PAL 1.9.0.0
NI-USI 1.0.2
NI-VISA 3.2

Hardware:

PCI-6034E connected to an SCXI 1001
PCI-CAN
PCI-GPIB

If I open MAX and click on "Devices and Interfaces", I get an hourglass mouse icon, and constant network activity, for about 10 minutes before MAX finally responds and displays the devices.

Any ideas?

TIA,

Jaegen
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,977 Views)
Jaegen,

Could you use NI Spy to capture this behavior and attach the resulting *.spy file? You may need to increase the call history depth under "Spy" -> "Options." I believe the default is 1000. Please reply if you need any help with this process.

Regards,
Ryan V.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
http://www.ni.com/support
Ryan Verret
Product Marketing Engineer
Signal Generators
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,954 Views)

Sorry to be getting back to this so late.

It appears that the problem is related to serial ports which used to exist on the PC, but don't now.  I believe this PC used to be attached to an ethernet serial port server, and therefore had about 20 serial ports configured.  The server is gone now, but MAX is still trying to find or connect to these ports (I've attached the NI-SPY log).

The problem now is that I can't delete these ports.  If I wait for MAX to "unhang", I can go to the Ports section, individually disable all of these ports, then delete them (I have to disable them in order for MAX to let me delete them) and click "Save All", but as soon as I close MAX and open it again, they're still there and I have the same problem.  The ports do not show up in the windows device manager (Win 2000 SP 4).

How do I get rid of these???

Thanks,

Jaegen

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,918 Views)
Jaegen,

Your NI Spy file appears to verify your explanation of the problem. As for deleting these ports, I have a few suggestions. First, make sure that you are logged in as an adminstrator of the machine. If you are not an admin, MAX will not be able to edit the configuration file. If this does not work, try exporting your configuration manually. Go to "File>>Export" and export your configuration to the default directory. Be sure and check the "Export All Data" box. Afterwards, uncheck all of your ENET serial ports which are no longer connected. Finally, upon reopening MAX, if the ports are still present, try imporing this same configuration file.

Hope this helps,
Ryan
Ryan Verret
Product Marketing Engineer
Signal Generators
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,906 Views)