Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux NIDAQmx install problem

Hello,

I'm a beginner in linux and having trouble installing the NIDAQmx library for linux on a raspberry pi. I downloaded the .iso and mounted it successfully however when running the install It reported this: 

Checking required install tools...
Checking installer tool versions...
dpkg found
rpm Not found in current path
tar 1.26
Checking dependencies...
glibc 2.13
Unpacking install files to /tmp/nidaqmx-8.0.2f0.install...

*********************************** ERROR ************************************
* ERROR: 4.1 kernels are not supported! *
* Running a 2.6.x kernel is required to continue this installation. *

I've seen some other people having similar errors when downloading NI-VISA, but not for NIDAQmx. How can I fix this? Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,560 Views)

@epivo wrote:

Hello,

I'm a beginner in linux and having trouble installing the NIDAQmx library for linux on a raspberry pi. I downloaded the .iso and mounted it successfully however when running the install It reported this: 

Checking required install tools...
Checking installer tool versions...
dpkg found
rpm Not found in current path
tar 1.26
Checking dependencies...
glibc 2.13
Unpacking install files to /tmp/nidaqmx-8.0.2f0.install...

I've seen some other people having similar errors when downloading NI-VISA, but not for NIDAQmx. How can I fix this? Thank you!

Where did you get the idea that installing NI-DAQmx on Linux running on the Raspberry Pi was doable?

Message 2 of 4
(4,553 Views)

@epivo wrote:

Yeah, the problem is that NI treats the information how to talk to the device as secret as nuclear launch keys ...

Basicly, they intellectually live in the old time of the catholic inquisition, where only priests were allowed to learn and speak the latin language and the Bible was just available in latin. So, everybody else had to belive what the priests say.

It took some German guys to translate the Bible (Luther) and print it in mass production (Gutenberg) to free the people from that intellectual slavery.

Now, about five centuries later, we've got the same situations w/ NI products again:

You'll have to be member in the Redmond church, do your compulsory service to the pope William I., and the bishop of NI, and pray three times a day that everything works.

Perhaps it again takes two German guys again (somebody just should donate a nice castle as residence) ... 😉

Most certainly, you can't (unless you're a kernel hacker and willing to spend a lot of time in reverse engineering the whole thing).

NI could at least disclose all the required specs. I wouldn't use their code for production systems anyways.

Linux Embedded / Kernel Hacker / BSP / Driver development / Systems engineering
Message 3 of 4
(3,176 Views)

What operating system are you using?

Generally Rasberry Pi's use Raspbian distribution of Linux operating system which I do not think is supported for National Instruments software.

Please refer to this document to see if your operating system is supported for the software you are trying to install:

National Instruments Driver and Software Support for Linux Distributions:
http://www.ni.com/product-documentation/52786/en/

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,164 Views)