Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lab PC+ counter not initializing

background: i'm using the last version of ni-daq 6. I cannot upgrade to ni daq 7 because i'm programming on a windows 95 machine. I'm running three cards in this machine. a Lab PC+, a PCI-DIO-96, and a ni4351(pci).

my problem is this: I cannot seem to initialize the internal counters with the ICTR_Setup() function. any subsequent ICTR_Read() returns 0xffff as a result, without fail. To my knowledge the only other related nidaq function is ICTR_Reset() which seems to have no effect. I believe that the problem is that the counter isn't properly being initialized.

other information: two years ago i successfully used the counters in a program. when attempting to use this program now it appears to fail in the same way that m
y new program is setting: calls to ICTR_Read() always return 0xffff. The program itself hasn't changed since I last used it in a functional state, but the hardware has changed some. Since then I installed the ni4351 and its associated driver software (as the card will not work with nidaq6 alone). Is it possible that there's some sort of conflict between the ni435x driver software and the ICTR functions?

Thanks for any help.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,067 Views)
as i don't see a good way to delete the post, i'll answer my own question. The solution was fixing the power supply on the external circuit. It turns out that if there is no external clock pulse, then the counter doesn't initialize and will return whatever value it has (on start-up that value is 0xffff). I would have expected the return value in this case to be whatever value was passed to ICTR_Setup(), but that's not the case. (and that's why it took me so long to figure it out).
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,067 Views)