From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to use the NI 9217(PT100 RTD Analog Input) to retrieve temperature from a thermocouple?

I purchased an NI 9217 and Pt Thin Film RTDs to make a temperature measurement. But I now realize that the RTD is acting as a non-negligible heat flow path in my system and so I want to switch to a thin wire Thermocouple that touches the surface. 

But purchasing another module is a huge investment. So I am trying to find what my options are. 

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,485 Views)

Read user manual of NI 9217 for connecting RTDs at analog inputs.

Jamal

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,473 Views)

Well, the 9217 is made for 100Ohm RTDs.....

If heat transfer is a problem:

Use

-thinner wires

-smaller RTDs

But keep in mind  the 1mA excitation(/heating 😉 ) current, maybe that self heating current is too high?  (OK, the spec doesn't tell if it is applied all the time.....)

A hack (never tried) with a lot of calibration needs: (and you didn't tell us a lot about your application.... not even the temperature range)

And it can only work if the 9217 measure in DC mode..... (what I assume)

Get 1 to 3 good low tempco 100R resistors, put them together a 100RTD (CH4 😉 ) on a heat shielded metall block  to build your CJC .  (Everything with good thermal contact)

Wire the 100R Resistors in 4 wire mode, connect your TC in series to the RTD+ connection  (these connections are also placed on the CJC block)

Any TC EMF will show up as a change in the measured resistance. For a Pt100 (@ 1mA) 1K temperature change is about 380µV voltage change ....  a type K is about 10 times smaller.... uncertaincy is about 1K anyway with a TC, so expect 2K and a resolution of 0.1K ....     

How to calc the temperature is now your homework 😉 

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

Message 3 of 6
(4,445 Views)

Last remark:

You will spend a lot of time with that hack ( building the CJC block, programming, validation/calibration) ....

so getting a TC module if you need to measure with TCs is the recommended way to go....

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,442 Views)

Thank you for the Kudos 🙂

Just curious: How did you solved the problem?

Spoiler
Hey, that was a crude hack 😄
Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,074 Views)

I wasn't able to. I eventually had to throw money at the problem and buy a module to use thermocouples Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,071 Views)