Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is DAQ an amplifier and signal conditioner too by itself?

I hope I am in a right forum section. I know this is a very basic qeustion but my knowledge in electronics is limited. 

If for example I have a stack of Piezo electrics and I simply take two wires as output from it and connect it to NI DAQ, is it going to be acceptable? What I mean is do I need signal conditioning first and then send it to labview or DAQ system has its own amplifier and signal conditioning and filtering environment noise system within itself? 
What is the smallest voltage (or current) that a DAQ system can detect? I know there are data sheets for each DAQ system but I do not know which parameter I should look for!
Can a DAQ system detect voltages in orders of microvolt or even nanovolt or currents in ordres of picoampere?

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,792 Views)

@SilasIII wrote:

Can a DAQ system detect voltages in orders of microvolt or even nanovolt or currents in ordres of picoampere?

Not likely.  Most DAQs I have seen have an accuracy in the mV down to maybe 100s of uV.  Currents are typically measured with a series resistor and then you measure the drop across it.

For these small of signals, you will want some signal conditioning and amplification before sending them into a DAQ.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 4
(3,782 Views)

Thank you 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,776 Views)

@SilasIII wrote:

I recommend you just find a good Electrical Engineer who knows circuits like this.  @johnsold instantly comes to mind for me.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,769 Views)