Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect voltage output of NI 5133 DAQ

I try to use NI USB 5133 to read the DC output voltage of a photodetector. But the output voltage is smaller than I expect. 

First, I mesure output voltage with a 50Mohm multimeter. The voltage is 5V. Then I use Ni USB 5133 (1Mohm) to measure it, but the output voltage is 1V. Since both multimeter and DAQ are high impedance, I think the output voltage should be the same, but they are not. Can any tell me how to solve this problem? Thank you.

The photodetector I use is ThorLabs DET10C.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,913 Views)

If you apply a battery you will find that both units will read 1.5( or so) V 🙂

The output of the Detector is a current!  and since you use a 5133 , I assume you want high bandwidth , so why not read the detector manual and use a 50Ohm termination and read that with both intruments ? 😉

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,906 Views)

Thanks for the quick reply. I am reading a DC voltage, so I don't really care about the bandwidth.

I am treating the detector as Thevenin's model, an output voltage and a 50 ohm series resistance. Since in both cases, the load resistance (Mohm) is much larer than the source resistance (ohm), I think I should read similar output voltage. Can you explain why? Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,902 Views)

So you are treating the output of your detector as Voltage or current?

In Thevenin model, your detector will be the Voltage Source?

If you want the output of your detector to be Voltage, you have to wire a resistance (50 Ohm) as the load resistance.

https://www.thorlabs.com/thorcat/13100/DET10C-Manual.pdf

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,820 Views)