Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IEPE Accelerometer Connectivity check on NI 9234

I am using a 4 channel NI 9234 Analog IEPE module with a cDAQ NI 9184 chassis. I have an IEPE accelerometer and an IEPE Microphone on the first two channels of the NI 9234 module. I am using this setup for a test DC motor test system. I would like to check if the accel and the mic are connected before every test programmatically. Is there any NIDAQmx function to acheive this? Can I check if an IEPE sensor is connected to an Analog channel before starting the data acquisition task??

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,688 Views)

the common solution is to read the bieas voltage in DC mode, but that doesn't seems to be possiblewith this unit ??

Ways around:

The best way: If the sensors support TEDS , use it !  You can even identify the sensor 🙂

If TEDS doesn't work: (and open sensor and short detection is not supported)you can try this:

turn off IEPE current

switch to dc for some ms.  (Discharges the AC coupling cap)

switch back to AC and turn on IEPE current and immediatly start reading values. If a IEPE sensor is connected you should see a ~10V peak drifting to zero.

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,665 Views)

Yes, a NI application engineer confirmed that reading the biased voltage is not supported on this module. I will try TEDS first. Thanks for the reply!!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,593 Views)