From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to wire a 2 wire loop pressure transducer to NI 9949 RJ-50

Solved!
Go to solution

I am new to NI and data logging.

I want to connect a 4/20mA, 2 wire loop-powered pressure transducer to an NI 9949 RJ-50 screw terminal ... which will then connect to an NI 9237 input module.

The NI 9237 module is installed into an NI compact DAQ 9174 chassis.

I will be measuring truck air brake system air pressures from Zero kPa (gauge) up to an allowance of 1000 kPa (gauge).

The 2 wires on the transducer are identified as:  + Power and + signal

I would appreciate advice on the correct terminals on the NI 9949 RJ-50 please

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,323 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Big-Dog

Unfortunately, it looks like you have the wrong module for this task.  The 9237 is used for measuring the output of bridge based sensors (such as a strain gauge).  The signals it is designed to measure are fundamentally different than the 4-20mA signal your pressure transducer outputs.

Take a look at the NI 9203, 9207 or 9208.  All have at least some channels designed to take a 4-20mA current input.  Then, give the team at NI a call (877-387-0015) to talk through your application and verify you're selecting the right hardware for what you want to do.

Cody A.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,302 Views)

Hi Cody,

I'm glad that I checked before I puchased the transducer.

I know that there are 3 Honeywell TEDS pressure transducers that will match up to the NI system, however I was a bit shocked by the price.

I will search around for suitable bridge based pressure transducers.

Failing that, I will look into the purchase of another NI module.

Many thanks for your prompt reply to my question.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,290 Views)