From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use RegisterEveryNSamplesEvent?

Hello NewBe,

Here are a couple thoughts from reading through your posts. If you would like to retain your previous architecture of continually calling a function that checks if there are enough items in the buffer to perform a read, you could make use of the function  DAQmxGetReadAvailSampPerChan, which will return to you the number of available samples in a particular channel.  You could check the return of this until it matched some value you thought to be enough samples, and then perform the read.  

I will admit that I am having a little bit of trouble picturing the architecture of your application, and so apologize if I'm a little off base with my next suggestion.  If you would like to make use of the DAQmxRegisterEveryNSamplesEvent function, you could create a struct of the data that you will need to modify within the callback function, and pass this struct by reference to the callback function via the void *callbackData parameter.  If this doesn't seem helpful, could you perhaps post some pseudo code, or even the actual code, of the class you are trying to implement this within?

I also thought that I would mention that if you had Measurement Studio, you would have access to a fully object oriented DAQmx API, with examples written specifically for MFC applications.

NickB

National Instruments 
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 17
(1,919 Views)

Hi,

Thanks for your response. I had your second thought implemented pretty much the way you were suggesting, but with a little twist to it, in the call back function, I would dispatch to a member function in which I do my reading and processing just for the fact so I can have access to other data members of my class..... I haven't got it to work quite right yet.

By the way, I downloaded a trial version of Measurmeant Studio for VC++, I didn't get any meanigful examples with it though....

I will take a look at your first thought and see if it is a better idea to implement that one.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 17
(1,903 Views)

Sorry, I meant to give you some idea about the code:

In summary I have an analog Task of 8 chs, and 2 counter tasks, one counter for very tooth of a revolution, and the other counter task for Once per Revolution.

class CCommunication

{

int variable(s); //I have many variables declared here - like 50 of them

int *m_Buffer; // I need this buffer to carry the data after I read NI data and process it, I wanna stuff it in this buffer to use it for the rest of the project

int GetNIDAQData(int *Buffer); //This function is where I read the NI data

DAQmxReadBinary16( ...)

DAQmxReadCounterU32(...)..

};

// implementation in .CPP

while(1)

{

int ReturnStringSize = GetNIDAQData(m_Buffer);   //function call to come back with Buffer and string size from underneath

//After I filled the m_Buffer from reading NI from the function below, I will pass it on to the rest of the project

......more processing

.......Garph data...

.......etc.....

}

int CCommunication::GetNIDAQData(int *Buffer)

{

if(Buffer is Ready to be Read)

{

DAQmxReadBinary(... 8 chs...)

DAQmxReadCounterU32( .....)

DAQmxReadCounterU32( .....)

Process data ....

Buffer[0] = Time;

Buffer[1] = RPM;

Buffer[2] = Max Time;

Buffer[3] = Degrees.

Buffer[4 = AnalogCh1Value;

Buffer[5] = AnalogCh2Value;

....etc .......

}

else

return 0;

}

Q1) In the RegisterEverySamplesEvent function, Do I specify (#of SamplesPerChannel) or Total# of Samples....I currently do SampsPerChannel.

Q2) I am specifying SetInputBufferSize() even though its continuous acquisition, because it fails when the #of samples sepecified to issue the trigger varies and   becomes a non-multiple of the buffer size or vice versa (-20777)...Does this make sense?

like I said, I will give your thought #1 a go as well.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 17
(1,900 Views)

I apologize for hijacking this thread with my previous question.

A solution to my problem (one that works) is to register a single callback function and to read data from the 4 tasks in that function. This technique is effectively illustrated in the NIDAQmx example "Synchronization\Multi-Device\Continuous AI\ContinuousAI.c".

Francis 

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 17
(1,892 Views)

Hello All,

I wanted to update everyone on the solution to NewBe's issue:

- First, call back function has to be declared as static data member to
match C signature.
- pass the call back function as a reference object
ClassName::&CallbackfunctionName.
- pass "this" pointer for call back argument.
-  In the call back function, Dispatch to another data member function
using the access object of call back data which was passed by "this"
pointer.
- In dispched function, you will be able to read NI buffers and have access
to rest of data members.

Thanks to all who participated! 

With warm regards,

David D.
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 17
(1,851 Views)

Hi, are you able to show this explanation with an example please? I have a problem with using one of the NI callback functions as a member function of a class.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 17
(1,221 Views)

Dear pa1409,

In the event that you don't hear back from this post soon, I would recommend starting a new post, since it's been many years since the creation of the post.

Andy G
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 17
(1,209 Views)