From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to output analog current more than 2mA

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi johnsold,

The device is made by myself, it can be considered as a resistor. Actually, I tried using a resistor(100Ohm), then the voltage of the resistor can't exceed 0.23V.

Thanks.

CJL

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 31
(1,675 Views)

0.23 V/100 ohms = 2.3 mA = limit for AO.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 31
(1,669 Views)

Yes. So it seems protection diode is working. I have suspected that,too. But I think there should be a way to solve this problem. 

CJL

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 31
(1,658 Views)

Did you connect the powersupply GND ?

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 31
(1,652 Views)

Hi Henrik,

My power supply is a DC power supply which doesn't have GND. So I designed a circuit to split the voltage and construct a virtual ground. But I need some compenents such as copacitors which I don't have right now. I plan to get these components and try your method tomorrow. 

Thanks,

CJL

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 31
(1,644 Views)

Even two equal value resistors to create a 'pseudo'ground might be enough to eliminate the diode issue. Try two 1000 ohm resistors in series from +15 V to -15 V and connect the DAC ground to the junction of the two resistors.

Both systems, the DAQ and the controlled device, MUST use the same common reference or ground. If your device is floating, the impedance of the voltage divider I described above may not matter.

Lynn

Message 16 of 31
(1,639 Views)

Hi Henrik,

I tried your method. It works! You are right, it's the ground issue. I connected DAQ, power supply and my device all to the virtual ground, then I could get current more than 2mA. Thanks for your help. 

CJL

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 31
(1,625 Views)

Hi johnsold,

You are right. I didn't what you said, it works pretty well. I could get enough current value now. Appreciate for your help. 

Thanks.

CJL

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 31
(1,623 Views)

Glad you got it working.

Please mark Henrik's post as the solution. That way others who look at this thread can go directly to the solution.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 31
(1,617 Views)

Hi Henrik,

I got another problem. Below is my circuit where I use a load resistor to replace my device for simplification. First I tried RL=390ohm, the voltage of the load resistor will follow my setting analog output value when the value is less than 6.15V. The current can reach 15mA which solved my earlier problem. But I found that once I set the analog output voltage bigger than 6.15V, the voltage of the load resistor won't follow my set value, just keeping at 6.15V. And then I tried RL=100ohm, same thing happened, only the transition voltage value became around 2.2V. Do you know the reason?

CJL

untitled.JPG

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 31
(1,606 Views)