From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to monitor the utilization rate of the on board buffer?

Hi guys,

I am now using DAQ-6363x(USB) to generate a high frequency digital waveform. Since my waveform is much longer than the size of the output FIFO buffer. I set the data request condition as "onboard buffer less than half full", hoping the onboard buffer will require data from my PC buffer without interfereing the data output operation.

I am not sure if this make sense, so now I just want to monitor the utilization rate of my onboard buffer to see if this method works. But I can only get the available space in my PC buffer in the DAQmx write node's property. Does anyone know if there is a way to monitor the onboard buffer too. Thanks a lot.  

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,932 Views)

Why are you worried about this? Are you getting any errors?

The DAQ card should handle the data transport on it's own, you shouldn't have to monitor the FIFO buffer.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,907 Views)

Hi Stockson,

Thanks for your reply. I am worried about this because I am not sure if the device support writting data to the onboard buffer without interfering outputing data to the peripheral device, especially not sure if this can work for the digital output. I've never seen anyone or any manual did something like this. So although I don't have any error while running the code, I still want to see some other evidence that can prove this method can work. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,904 Views)

Hi zzh142857,

It is possible to monitor the PC buffer using a DAQmx read property node to read the Status:Available Samples Per Channel property. However, I have never known anyone to be successful in monitoring the onboard FIFO buffer of an external device. Monitoring this would impair code efficiency. By the time you would be able to measure the amount of data in the onboard buffer and report it back to the PC, I would expect the amount of data in the buffer to have changed.

I hope this helps!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,861 Views)