Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to connect a SIKA pressure sensor to the cDAQ-9174 with module NI 9219 and read the signal?

Hey everyone. 

I need help with connecting my pressure sensor to my DAQ device and read the signal? I need all the help that I can get since I am really new to this stuff and would really appreciate it ! This is the pressure sensor I am working with: http://www.sika.net/en/products/sensors-and-measuring-instruments/pressure-sensors-and-pressure-swit...

It has four wires. Black, red, blue, Yellow/Green.

Thanks alot!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 19
(4,464 Views)

Hi DP,

Nice to see you getting busy with hardware, what steps have you taken so far? Did you pull out data sheets of both devices? What conclusion did it leave you with?

Let's think on it together!

Kind Regards,

-Natalia

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 19
(4,440 Views)

Hey Natalia 

When you ask if I pulled out the datasheet for both devices. What do you exactly mean? I linked to the datasheet for pressure sensor (atleast what I think is the datasheet). In labview when I have to configure the sensor I gives me some options how to connect "a" pressure sensor to the module but the color code for the wires differs from the actual wires ofcourse. I am afraid that if I wire it in an wrong way that I might break the pressure sensor.

Thanks 

DP

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 19
(4,434 Views)

Hey DP,

I can see wheat causes the struggle, I've scanned the documentation of the SIKA sensor and it wasn't helpful.

Also tried looking for related issues, but search returned empty. 

Think contacting SIKA customer service would be an option?

http://www.sika.net/en/contact/sales-sensors-and-measuring-instruments.html

Kind Regards,

-Natalia

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 19
(4,426 Views)

Unscrew the connector and have a look at the connetions at the plug.

Look at the exact type of sensor usually marked on the sensor, together with the order info of the datasheet you get the type of output. (3. digit 1,2 or 3)

If you have a fixed cable version, here is my guess:

(but usually it's also marked on the sensor somewhere... )

green/yellow is dedicated to PE (ProtectionEarth) and most probably connected to the housing.

Black is Gnd (0V)

Red it powersupply (18V)

Blue is the output     

But calling SIKA isn't a bad idea 😉

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 19
(4,413 Views)

Hey Henrik

Lets say that the wires are as you described. How would you connect it to the module? I guess the black and blue would be connected to the module and the red would ofcourse go to the powersupply or to a module that supports an output of atleast 18V?

This is the module:

http://sine.ni.com/gallery/app/ui/page?nodeId=208789&mTitle=NI%209219&mGallery=set_ni_9219

Thanks

DP

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 19
(4,410 Views)

As stated in the manual:  GND -> AI(Sense)- and SIgnal -> AI+  and for the power supply P-  to GND and P+ to Supply IN.

So you share the GND line with the powersupply and the analog input.

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 19
(4,391 Views)

Hi Henrik 

This is some of the pictures on the sensor. The last day I have been trying to set it up without and success. Hope the pictures can help clarify how to connect it to the module :(. Btw. How do I know if it is a full bridge, half bridge or quarter bridge? 

Wire 1 = Red

Wire 2 = Black

Wire 3 = Blue 

Wire 4 = Ground 

Thanks alot for the help so far.

DP

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 19
(4,344 Views)

Your pressure transducer says on its label that the signal is 4-20 mA. That's one standard way to transmit analog signals- the pressure measurement is represented by a current of 4 mA to represent the minimum signal, up to 20 mA representing full scale signal. You need to measure it as current, not voltage. I believe some NI devices have an option for reading such a signal, but if your does not you will need to use a resistor from the V+ to V- and connect V- to ground (most likely). Compute by Ohm's law  the range of voltage you will see this way in order to pick the appropriate voltage range for your reading.

You do not need to worry about the bridge- it is internal to your transducer, and you don't interact with it at all. The transducer has electronics inside it to read the bridge and generate the current output.

John Weeks

WaveMetrics, Inc.
Phone (503) 620-3001
Fax (503) 620-6754
www.wavemetrics.com
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 19
(4,323 Views)
Hey John

First I want to say thank you for taking your time to help me.

I am pretty sure that the module I got can receive inputs of 4-20 mA. The thing is that I am really new to programming and with wiring modules and hardware. Therefore simple instructions are very needed. The reason why I asked if it was a full bridge, half bridge or quarter bridge is because labview gives you an example (connection diagram) based on which type you choose. If I choose the full bridge option it shows me that all 4 wires should be connected to the module which kinda makes me think something is wrong since the one wire is for grounding and atleast one of the wires should be for powering the sensor.

DP
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 19
(4,315 Views)