Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I open and close an electronic shutter through LabView 8.5.1 using an NI USB-6009?

Solved!
Go to solution

Also I need to set up a timer so the shutter is open for 15 minutes and closed for 30 minutes.  This has to cycle 500 times.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 20
(4,976 Views)
What sort of interface does the shutter have? You have a choice a sending either digital (0/5V) or analog (-10 to +10V). No one here knows what to use since you have not provided any details at all on the shutter.

Look at using the Elapsed Time function inside a for or while loop.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 20
(4,970 Views)

The shutter controller accepts a TTL signal with a max voltage of ±42V.  Currently it is hooked up to a digital port on the NI USB-6009, and I have been able to manually controll the shutter throught the NI USB-6009 software.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 20
(4,966 Views)
The image does not help at all.

Since you can control it with the software, what is your question? The software is LabVIEW?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 20
(4,952 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Matt_@_ICS

The USB-6009 is a relatively new device, and LabVIEW 8.5.1 is rather old software. You need to check to be sure that you have drivers (DAQmx) for your version of LabVIEW that support this hardware. It sounds as if you have it set up in MAX and are controlling the output manually, which is a good sign. I don't have access to version 8.5.1 and I don't remember exactly what features it supported, but the attached picture shows a simple block diagram in a new version of LabVIEW that would do what you want. Of course you should test it with shorter times and fewer iterations because this one takes more than 2 weeks to complete! Add any controls, indicators and error-checking that you want.

Rich

Message 5 of 20
(4,935 Views)
While that VI would work, the use of the wait function means that the program cannot be stopped in any reasonable amount of time.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 20
(4,928 Views)

Thank you!  This is exactly what I was looking for.  I modified your design slightly, including the DAQ assistant at the beginning.  I also changed the constants to variables so I can adjust to timing and number of cycles as needed. 

Also, I'm aware that the run time for the test is 2 weeks long.  I testing this program using 5 cycles of 3 seconds and 6 seconds.  It works great!

Again, thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 20
(4,894 Views)
You CANNOT use the wait function for your stated delays. I'm not going to say that again.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 20
(4,877 Views)

Dennis,

We should get jobs where he works. Power never goes off. Computers never fail. The other equipment always works exactly as expected. AND the boss never changes his mind after a run starts.

On the other hand, that would only be fun for a short time....

Lynn

Message 9 of 20
(4,868 Views)
🙂
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 20
(4,858 Views)