From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grounding unused/floating AI channels on PCI-6225

Hi, I'm currently running two DAQ cards on the same computer, PCI-6225 using 80 AI's and PCI-6723 using 32 AO's, that stimulate and record to/from a test system. This test system is a little unusual where sometimes both AI and AO channels can float and there may be no current passing to some AI channels. When reading single-ended AI's, if some AI’s float, I see a coupling between unused channels and used channels, i.e. if channels AI 1 to 4 are in use, and only AI 1 & 2 receive a signal (say 3V from AO), channels AI 3 & 4 take on the value of 1 &/or 2 (not 0V). This seems like a ground-loop problem, but after trying different ground configurations and source types using the “Signal source type” diagram in http://www.ni.com/white-paper/3344/en/, I’m just getting confused. 

If I want the floating channels to go to ground should the unused channels have pull-down resistors to the AI's GND? Which configuration in the diagram should I use? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,538 Views)

What you are seeing is actually "ghosting" due to the MUX inside of the DAQ.  A resistor to GND would help, but you are technically draining a capacitor.  So you may have to play around a little to find a resistor value that works well for you.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 3
(2,525 Views)

Thanks for the reply. After reading about ghosting here (http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/73CB0FB296814E2286256FFD00028DDF), this makes some sense.

For the above example, I tried to lower the sample rate but the ghosting problem still persists -- maybe this is because of the high impedance/floating channels.

I'm going to look at using a Unity Gain Buffer (Voltage Follower) for each channel, as I would like to keep the sample rate high, and I can't really lower the input source impedance.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,511 Views)