From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generating a Digital pulse train for triggering camera and syncing analog I/O

Hi, 

I have the following components:

1. NI PCI-6713 connected to a BNC-2110 
2. cDAQ 9174 + NI 9205 + NI 9264.

I want to generate a digital pulse train at a 30 Hz. and feed that signal as a trigger signal into a camera. Moreover, I would like to use this digital pulse as a timing signal to acquire and write data using the NI 9205 and NI 9264.

It looks like only the PCI-6713 has a counter in it (since NI-MAX only shows that device when I try to setup a task). I wanted to know
a. How to access the signal on the BNC 2110, so I can wire it to my camera.
b. How to access the signal internally so it can be used for timing Analog I/O (any Labview examples would be really helpful!)

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,614 Views)

Hello ashenoy,

Here is an example to generate a digital signal using an analog I/O http://www.ni.com/example/26621/en/, the signal you need is pretty slow so it will be fine. It seems the PCI-6713 has 2 counters if that's helpful as well.

For accessing the signal on the BNC 2110 is the same I/O that you set in the code.

Regards,

PedroR

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,555 Views)

Hi Pedro, 

Thanks for your reply.

Can you let me know how to access the counter on the BNC (i.e. which BNC socket)? I think using the counter would be more robust. Is there a way I can control the frequency of the pulse generated by the counter? 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,551 Views)

ashenoy, take a look at LabVIEW examples by going to Help -> Find examples -> Hardware Input and Output -> DAQmx -> Counter Output. You can choose PFI (this is labeled on the BNC) as well as in the code, for this BNC you have 2 counters output in BNC form or you can output them using wires in the screw connection. You also choose the rate, duty cicle and if you want to have a trigger.

This link is very good when you are starting with DAQmx http://www.ni.com/product-documentation/2835/en/

Regards,

PedroR

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,543 Views)