Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding your NIDAQ driver version

I am trying to find out what version of NIDAQ driver I have currently on my system.
I have looked around for some online help, but couldn't find any.

Could you tell me how to determine what version of NIDAQ driver is installed on a windows machine so that I can upgrade properly.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,120 Views)
It's listed in MAX. Expand the Software listing.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,117 Views)
I am trying to create an installer to check the driver software version and update the drivers and new necessary software for the application.  Basically, I want to check  If the version is updated, if it is then I don't want to install the driver version I have.  But if the version is out of date, then I want to install the most current version through this install shield program.

I am not quite sure how to use MAX...could you clarify more and let me know if I can still use your method for my update install?
If not, do you happen to have another suggestion of finding the driver  version?

Thanks for your help so far.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,105 Views)
Like most programs, the version is actually stored in the registry. Look in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>National Instruments>NI-DAQ and NI-DAQmx. Doesn't Install Shield do this for you automatically?
Message 4 of 8
(3,088 Views)
Dennis,
  Thanks so much.  I think this is just what I was looking for. 
Yes, Installshield does this for you automatically, but I am using the DAQ for a third-party software.  I am developing an installation through Installshield X (my first development, as you can tell) that will load the third-party software updates...along with the updated driver.  Apparently, when the install overwrites the NIDAQ driver with the current version, there is a conflict which causes the program to crash.  Therefore, I was searching for a way to find the SW version of the driver so that I can check to see if the version is older or current.  That way, if it isn't necessary to overwrite the driver, my installshield setup won't overwrite it....it just updates the third-party software, otherwise it updates the driver too.

I really appreciate your help!
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,082 Views)
eaton,

I would suggest checking the registry key for the DAQ driver. This can be done using the LabVIEW Windows Registry Access VIs. The key you should look at is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\National Instruments\NI-DAQmx\CurrentVersion\Version

It is important to be careful when accessing the registry and not to modify any keys as this may result in system instability.

Hope this helps,

Message Edited by Ryan V on 08-29-2005 09:36 AM

Ryan Verret
Product Marketing Engineer
Signal Generators
National Instruments
Message 6 of 8
(3,084 Views)
Beat me to it, Dennis!
Ryan Verret
Product Marketing Engineer
Signal Generators