Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 88705 with a USB-6366 DAQ

It may be worth looking into whether USB 3.0 is an issue as suggested above.  I have just had a problem with a CompactDAQ setup and initially thought it was to do with using Windows 7 64 bit since it was the first time I had done a DAQ setup on a new notebook.  NI assured me that the drivers are all compatible with 64 bit especially DAQmx.  The problem, I describe below, seems now to be fixed by clearing everything and then making sure I plugged into one of the USB 2.0 ports the first time. So USB3.0 backwards compatibility isn't really backwards compatible.

Below is the behaviour I reported.  I reported it to NI and the resolution was that the 9174 chassis is only compatible with hi speed USB 2.0.

Using Win 7 64 bit LV 2011 Daqmx 9.3.5. NI CompactDAQ 9174 chassis, 9237 strain gauge module. Problem is MAX not recognising the CompactDAQ devices.

I have never previously had problems with this sort of setup,  The new thing is Windows 64 bit and possibly using a USB3.0 port.

I plug in the compactDAQ chassis for first time.  I happened to use the USB 3.0 port on the relatively new notebook PC.  The ASUS notebook PC has 2 USB 3.0 ports on one side and 2 USB 2.0 ports on the other.

Initially I plug in the 9174 chassis with no module installed.  Drivers get installed correctly.  Device appears as expected in MAX. I then plug in the strain gauge module.  Usually I would see the new device being recognised and driver installing again.   This does not happen.  MAX does not recognise it.

I try various things eg unplugging and plugging.  Compact DAQ chassis now no longer seems to be recognised.  Looking at Windows Device Manager I can see a message that a USB device is not recognised.

Final behaviour is that Chassis Power and Active lights are ON but Ready light is not on, indicating USB does not recognise device.  I think that initially the (middle) Ready light did go on.

I also try in the USB 2 ports but doesn't work there either. I check that there is nothing wrong with the chassis with a Windows 7 32 bit machine.  Installation proceeds as I expect on that machine so I know nothing is wrong with the hardware.

0 Kudos
Message 31 of 35
(1,794 Views)
thanks for your information, Carmen.
that's good, work properly
0 Kudos
Message 32 of 35
(1,584 Views)

Dear Sir,

Could you please explain the solution for this error..

We are facing same error for DAQ 6218.

We tried all combinations suggested in this thread and all leads to vain..

Regards

Nagarajan

0 Kudos
Message 33 of 35
(1,506 Views)

Hi Nagarajan

Have you tried the steps in the following KB?

Why Does My DAQ or Simulated DAQ Device Fail the MAX Self-Test With Error -88705? - National Instruments
http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/E4A2C6606CA13D0586257A0100505AFC

Can you give us some more details about your system and setup:
Are you using Win 7 64-bit?

Are you using USB 3.0?

Version of MAX and DAQmx?

Have you the exactly the same problem or do you just have the same error?
i.e. is the device recognized in MAX?

How about the LED, is it on?

Can you start and stop the NI Device Loader Windows Service? (via cmd line, see previous posts)

Can you check if this happens with another PC as well or is it only on one machine?

Have you other devices connected to your PC? Try to unplug all and only pluggin the 6218.

Regards Raff

0 Kudos
Message 34 of 35
(1,488 Views)

I hope you don't mind the necro.

I just had the spitting image of the symptoms described in the OP - plus in NI MAX there would intermittently appear a second device which should not have been there.

Ultimately my issue was solved it by replacing the USB cable. Don't forego the easy solutions I guess.

0 Kudos
Message 35 of 35
(1,007 Views)