From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Traditional NI-DAQ (Legacy) 7.5 in Windows 7 do the job of Traditional NI-DAQ (Legacy) 7.4.4 in Windows XP?

Like many I suppose, I am facing the bewildering task of migrating old DAQ systems away from XP. I am not in a position where I can afford the time and money to rewrite the code and/or buy new replacement hardware.

In the past, I tried the beta version of the Traditional NI-DAQ (Legacy) 7.5 drivers on Windows 7 32 bit, and my recollection was that it was an utter failure (but I haven't documented the process so I can't be more detailed). Thus I basically resorted to dual-booting those machines, with an XP side for when I needed to use some hardware and code, and a Windows 7 one when doing some more modern stuff.

I was directed to this page: http://www.ni.com/download/traditional-ni-daq-legacy-7.5/4498/en/ and looking for more info, I was unable to figure out whether it might solve my conundrum.

The fact is that Windows 7 (32 bits) installation and the subsequent upgrades takes time and is fraught with many possible disasters, so I'd rather avoide going down that route if it is not likely to help me run my 6602's, 6713's, 6115's, 6552's etc, using the good old NI-DAQ drivers.

Does somebody have some experience with a similar attempt?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(6,363 Views)
Traditional DAQ was made obsolete with the release of DAQmx with LabVIEW 7.0. Are you also having to face porting pre version 7 code? That is an additional complication.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(6,352 Views)

@Dennis_Knutson wrote:
Traditional DAQ was made obsolete with the release of DAQmx with LabVIEW 7.0. Are you also having to face porting pre version 7 code? That is an additional complication.

Situations varies from machine to machine. Some run LV 7.1, some others LV 8.6 or 9, etc. The Legacy 7.4.4 drivers were intended to allow users of these later versions to use their old NI-DAQ-based VIs.

So maybe I should rephrase my question:

"Would upgrading Windows XP machines to Windows 7 (32 bits) and installing the NI-DAQ (Legacy) 7.5 Drivers allow me to run LabVIEW 7.1 to 9 (I might some 10's and 11's to in some corners of the lab) and associated VIs including NI-DAQ VIs?"

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(6,348 Views)
No guarantees since those old versions of LabVIEW aren't supported either. I would expect numerous small to large problems.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(6,345 Views)

The documentation is either unclear or incorrect as far as what is supported in what version of LabVIEW.

I have code running in LabVIEW 2009 (patched) using NI-DAQ 7.4.4 Legacy Drivers so the limitation to LV 6-7 as discussed in the readme file:

http://download.ni.com/support/softlib/multifunction_daq/nidaqmx/7.5/readme.html#OS

is bizarre.

But then, the page is labeled (C) 2003-2005 NI, so go figure, since NI-DAQ 7.5 Legacy was not out at that time, AFAIK...

Or maybe time just flew and I just did not realize it.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(6,336 Views)