cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DAQmx base 15, Linux, OpenSUSE 13.1 and USB-6259

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi NI Gurus,

Can anyone tell me why the PCI-6259 is compatible with OpenSUSE 13.1 and DAQmx Base 15 but not the USB-6259 version? If it is compatible, can you please tell me how to make this work?

I have got all the NIKAL, NI-VISA and DAQmx Base code to work in OpenSUSE 13.1 but it will not recognise the USB-6259.  It will recognise other boards on the compatible list from NI on the DAQmx Base 15  (http://www.ni.com/download/ni-daqmx-base-15.0/5644/en/)

Best, Trevor

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,921 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author tjw79

It is not compatible. The PCI and USB versions are quite a bit different; PCI uses memory-mapped I/O and DMA streaming, USB uses a comparatively more complicated messaging protocol and USB Bulk streaming.

DAQmx Base does support some USB devices, but it presently does not support the USB-622x/5x/8x.

——
Brandon Streiff
ni.com/compactdaq · ni.com/daq
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,897 Views)

Hi Brandon,

Thank you for the quick reply, it is much appreciated.  I have ordered a PCI-6259 and await its arrival.

Do you also know if the peak to peak noise for the PCI vs USB analog outputs is compariable?  I found today that my USB-6259 has about 20 mV noise which seems quite big even when using +-10V. Would you consider this level of noise high?

Best, Trevor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,893 Views)

I'm more a software guy, so I'll let someone else field questions about noise.

I can however point you to the specifications for both the PCI-6259 and USB-6259, including AO accuracy specs: Device Specifications, NI 6259, June 2016 edition.

——
Brandon Streiff
ni.com/compactdaq · ni.com/daq
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,884 Views)