Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DAQ program

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm trying to write a program that runs in a loop and samples 11 different channels on a NI USB DAQ 6343 device continuously. The first 10 channels are simple DC measurements, the remaining channel is an AC voltage signal, whose frequency I want to record. All of this data I will be writing to a .csv file at the end. I have attached my code and I'm working with the DAQ.mx drivers. 

The question I have is, how do I measure and AC signal with the USB DAQ? I tried to configure analog input channel # 19 for "frequency, voltage" and then do a "read", howeever, it is telling me that the channel does not support that type of measurement. This AC signal is going through a BNC cable, and then to two banana adapters.

Attached is my code, written in LabVIEW 2013.   Here is a screen shot .

vxcvxcv.gif

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,699 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Snow_In_Tehran
You just include that channel in the ai voltage channel list that you already have. It's part of the same task. Change to n samples and specify a rate and number of samples to read. Since your dc channels would consist of multiple readings now, you could do something like take the mean of those.
Message 2 of 10
(4,692 Views)

Thanks for your reply. I see what you're saying in terms of including the channel in the original list, since its the same task. However, how do I record the freqnecy. Don't I need to designate that channel alone (using virtual channel) as a voltage-frequency measurement?

If I just do "N channel, N sample read" for all 11 channels, I will get the voltage levels for those channels, but how will I know the frequency of that last channel (the AC signal)?

Should I use some other vi's to look at that channel after its been read to calculate the freqnecy of that input? 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,684 Views)

Look for the Signal Processing->Waveform Measure->Extract Single Tone Information.vi.  It performs an FFT and gives you the main frequency of the waveform.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 4 of 10
(4,677 Views)

Ok thanks, this is a real help for getting the frequency data. However, the only problem is that by going from 1 sample read to N samples, the output data out of the 'read' vi is in waveform mode. This creates problems for my other processes becuase I wanted to scale the DC voltages by constants and then write the modified values to a .csv file. I can't do those operations when my data is in waveform form.

i tried to undundle the waveform data thinking that it is a cluster, but that doesn' work. Any suggestions?

vxcvxcv.gif

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(4,669 Views)

@Snow_In_Tehran wrote:

i tried to undundle the waveform data thinking that it is a cluster, but that doesn' work. Any suggestions?

The function you're looking for is called Get Waveform Components.

Best Regards,

John Passiak
Message 6 of 10
(4,665 Views)
Please use single Index Array and I already told you what to do if you wanted a scalar for the dc readings.
Message 7 of 10
(4,652 Views)

Thanks, these were all great answers and have helped me to solve the problem.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(4,646 Views)

Ok this has worked great. My only problem is, as you mentioned, now I have many more samples and I end up with a csv file with a huge number of rows and columns.

originally it was just 11 columns corresponding to my 11 channels. What kind of averaging operation can I employ to make the output more readable like it was before? 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,628 Views)

@Dennis_Knutson wrote:
Since your dc channels would consist of multiple readings now, you could do something like take the mean of those.

There is a Mean function that does exactly what Dennis suggested.

Best Regards,

John Passiak
Message 10 of 10
(4,625 Views)