Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DAQ card for camera triggering

Hi All,

I have a Camera which uses external trigger, right now we are getting trigger from a linear accelerator (output via bnc) , we want to synchronize the trigger and acquisition  and hence wants to use the DAQ card. can someone please let me know what kind of DAQ card we should use, our output from the machine is in form of vaoltage( around -0.1 to 1) in a BNC cable. we want to use the daq card with out laptop hnece i suppose the usb daq card will do better but i dont know what other hardware setup will i need with the daq card. can some one tell me.

thanks,

ag

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,519 Views)

There are a lot of NI USB boxes you could posiibly use... so lets start with some questions:

What is the signal looks like you want to aquire?  The minimum sample rate needs to be at least double the max frequncy of interest. better choose 10 times ...

If you want to send out a trigger with a digital output according to signal captured, a lot depends on timing and trigger options build in the DAQ, so please specify ...

An analog level trigger , or an analog level trigger with xx ms delay?  

How much jitter or tolerance for the trigger timing ?

?

How does the trigger signal has to look like  (min pulse length & level) ?

If you tell us more about your application and skills, maybe there is another simple and cheap solution?

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,515 Views)

@Henrik_Volkers wrote:

There are a lot of NI USB boxes you could posiibly use... so lets start with some questions:

What is the signal looks like you want to aquire?  The minimum sample rate needs to be at least double the max frequncy of interest. better choose 10 times ...

If you want to send out a trigger with a digital output according to signal captured, a lot depends on timing and trigger options build in the DAQ, so please specify ...

An analog level trigger , or an analog level trigger with xx ms delay?  

How much jitter or tolerance for the trigger timing ?

?

How does the trigger signal has to look like  (min pulse length & level) ?

If you tell us more about your application and skills, maybe there is another simple and cheap solution?

Hi the signal from the machine is a rectangle signal pulse of aroud 200hz.

i want to use the above signal and modulate or change it to something like this on the falling edge:

this will be an analog trigger, i want to use this trigger to caputer the 2 images one background and one original images, using that trigger. 

right now I uses the trigger from the machine and uses gate delay to switch back and forth in taking background and original images.

the voltage trigger from the machine is -0.1v.

i looked up online and saw  NI usb 6218 bnc card but wasnt sure about it. I need the card to be hooked up to the laptop and be mobile too.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,511 Views)

Also the pulse from the trigger is of 3 micro sec. hence we will need a fast and mobile daq card.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,467 Views)

The timing is still not clear to me....  a 3µs 'pretrigger' on every second falling edge? 

What tolerances in the timing are needed?

looks more like you need to react on the rising edge, an by measureing the pulse width of former pulses , make an edjucated guess 🙂

Counter are quite fast. even simple one manage 2-10MHz

I would use a 556 , some Cs,Rs and Ds and for 'reprogramming' 2 trimmer 😉 

hardware less than 10 maybe 20 Bucks, incl. a nice housing and BNC plugs .....  (hinding the dead bug rats nest 😄 )

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,465 Views)

@Henrik_Volkers wrote:

The timing is still not clear to me....  a 3µs 'pretrigger' on every second falling edge? 

What tolerances in the timing are needed?

looks more like you need to react on the rising edge, an by measureing the pulse width of former pulses , make an edjucated guess 🙂

Counter are quite fast. even simple one manage 2-10MHz

I would use a 556 , some Cs,Rs and Ds and for 'reprogramming' 2 trimmer 😉 

hardware less than 10 maybe 20 Bucks, incl. a nice housing and BNC plugs .....  (hinding the dead bug rats nest 😄 )

thanks Henrik,

One more small query, the pulse is of  -0.1 v so the daq card should have specification of min voltage covering that range right? so should i go for the Daq card with the min range of -0.1 v to 0.1 v or -5 v - 5v . 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,461 Views)

I would use a comperator to create a nice pulse for the digital inputs,

or look for a device that has a dedicated Analog trigger .

Try to contact a regional NI Sales Rep. and explain your problem,  if he/she propose a hardware, it's usually no problem to give it back if problem can't be solved with it 😉

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,449 Views)