From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DAQ board cannot read data correctly

I want to get current value from potentiostat current output and read it in Labview. However, I found the value change a lot when I pinned the wires in SCC-68 AI3 and AI ground.

If I measure voltage from potentiostat current output directly with voltmeter, the value is 9.8mV.

When the wire is connected to DAQ board, the voltmeter measured value is 16.8mV.

If I just disconnect the wire in AI ground, the value is 9.4mV which should be right one.

If I just disconnect the wire in AI 3, the reading is 16.8mV again.

(See attachment pictures)

I also tried other channels of SCC-68 and NI-USB-6009 board but got the same result. How could I solve the problem?

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,706 Views)

Since your potentiostat is outputting a current, measuring the voltage is useless unless you have a known load.  Throw in a 500 Ohm resistor (I'm assuming a 4-20mA signal here) between the signal and ground and measure the voltage drop across that resistor.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,699 Views)

Thanks for your answer. Actually I know the ratio of current to voltage of that potentiostat is 10μA/V, which means I can do the conversion in Labview program if I could get the voltage value from potentiostat current output. But my question is why voltage changed to different number(16.8mV) when I connected the wires to DAQ board. I think it should show me the same value (9.8mV) as the one I measured directly from potentiostat.  

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,684 Views)

Hello Iz250616,

Could you please specify which DAQ board are you using?

Thanks! 

Regards,
Daniel M.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
www.ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,630 Views)

I tried both SCC-68 and NI-USB-6009 board.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,600 Views)
The scc-68 is not a DAQ board. It is just a dumb terminal block. It has already been mentioned that you cannot simply connect a current output to a DAQ board. You can't simply connect it to a voltmeter either. You must use that known load as mentioned.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,591 Views)

You can also take a look to this white paper on some considerations to read analog signals.

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/3344/en/

Regards,
Daniel M.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
www.ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,557 Views)