From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DAQ analog inputs: is it faster to use single task with multiple channels (two to be exact) instead of two distinct tasks for 2 different channels?

They are the same data type: voltage, and are on the same board with same max and min values etc. How much of a time overhead do these tasks generally incur? 

Thanks

Aditi

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,290 Views)
Since you simply can't use two different tasks at the same time, your question does not make much sense.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,274 Views)
I have previously used created and run two tasks at the same time but I realize now that they were probably not running "simultaneously". However My program seemed to work oK. Do you think this was because the timescales that I was updating the measurements were in 100s of milliseconds and the time that was spent switching between tasks was too small to notice?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,250 Views)

@IUCHEM wrote:
I have previously used created and run two tasks at the same time but I realize now that they were probably not running "simultaneously". However My program seemed to work oK. Do you think this was because the timescales that I was updating the measurements were in 100s of milliseconds and the time that was spent switching between tasks was too small to notice?

1 Sample On Demand?  That would probably work.  But I would say you just got lucky.  You would be much better off using a single task to read both channels.  It is just more efficient in many ways.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 4 of 4
(4,237 Views)