Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DAQ Device: Detected but won't me configure or add task in LabVIEW or MAX

Hello,

I am having a problem with a DAQ device I am using and I was hoping to get some advice.

The device in question is a NI USB-6212 BNC. I hooked it up to my new laptop yesterday and while a new device was detected and the DAQ Assistant subvi opened the configuration menu, when I selected analog input and voltage, it told me a device could not be found. Furhtermore, the device was not connecting in MAX which was the second place I went. I don't know what the proper terminology is but the Devices and Interfaces tab in MAX was showing the device with a white symbol that had a red X next to the device name. I searched through the boards and found a post that suggested trying "Reset Configuration Data" in MAX's Tools menu. This required me to reset the computer and when I opened up MAX, the device now had a green icon next to it which I know to meet it is being detected properly. I disconnected and reconnected the USB to be sure everything was working OK and encountered the same problem. I tried the same fix but this time it did nothing. My next attempt was to download the latest version of DAQmx; I had the 9.5 version so I downloaded 9.5.1 and this morning the device was again being detected (green icon) even when I pulled out and plugged in the USB. The green light on the device followed the behavior of the green icon and is now steadily blinking on and off.

I thought the problem was solved until I tried to build a VI. I placed the DAQ Assistant sub VI into LabVIEW but this time no configuration menu opened up. As per my LabVIEW book, I tried right clicking on the DAQ Assistant sub VI and selecting properties but nothing happened. I want to stress this point; nothing happens, no freeze, no open and close pop up, nothing. I get a split second of the mouse pointer turning into a clock and that's it. Furthermore, the icon itself has nothing in it; no leads to wire to, no data bar, nothing at all except the name and two points to expand it which don't work. The Visible Items option includes only the caption. When I go back to MAX, even though the device is now detected and the tests, configuration and self calibration all say that everything is fine, I cannot create a new task. In fact, when click on the New Task Button, the MAX window dissapears. When I open MAX again,I get a message that says:

"Unexpected Error- Measurement & Automation Explorer

Measurement & Automation Explorer encountered and unexpected error since it was last run. For more information, visit ni.com/info and enter the Info Code MAXKnownException.

If the problem persists, you may need to restart Windows. Click Details to learn more about the problem."

The pop up has 3 options, Details, Continue ad Exit Application, the last of which I cannot press. Pressing details reveals:

"The exception occurred in the NIMax process in the function (Unknown).
See these files for details:
C:\ProgramData\National Instruments\MAX\Logs\20120428_210426-NIMax-000015F8.log
C:\ProgramData\National Instruments\MAX\Logs\20120428_210426-NIMax-000015F8.dmp"

Whereas Continue brings me back to MAX as if nothing happened. I cannot open the files it specifies, just get a pop up that offers to seach online for something that can open it. I've attached one (it won't let me attach the other) below if anyone can make head or tail of it.

In closing I need help. I tried updating my versions (MAX, VISA, etc). I tried looking on the forums and in the FAQ. So far there are no promsing leads and I am hoping someone here will be able to help. I would really appreciate it.

Hoping to here back,

Yusif Nurizade

P.S If it helps I am running LabVIEW 2011, 32-bit and have version 9.5.1 MAX, 5.1.2 VISA> Sorry for the long writeup, just trying to give you as much as possible to work with.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,419 Views)

Yusif,

I really appreciate the detailed write up.  The more details I know, the easier it is to diagnose your problem.  All of the issues that you're currently having (being unable to create a New Task in MAX and being unable to use the DAQ Assistant VI on your block diagram) are likely because of a bad install of the DAQ Assistant.  The DAQ Assistant is installed with the DAQmx drivers, so I would recommend uninstalling and reinstalling your DAQmx drivers.  Below is a KnowledgeBase article to walk you through this process:

How Do I Uninstall or Repair National Instruments Software?
http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/AC6ED75D3D93375686256E8E00245F0D

Let me know how it works.

Regards,

Jared R.
Precision DC Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,388 Views)