Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DAQ-6008 Analog Input issues, non-zero voltage at pin when disconnected

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm using the NI-DAQ 6008 to output a series of voltages and then reading a sense resistor using the analog input (RSE). I noticed that my analog input is giving me 1.3 V, when I probe it (relative to the device's ground), when completely disconnected. This alters the reading to give me a different measurement of the sense resistor than expected.

Why is my analog input pin non-zero??? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,464 Views)

It's floating.  It could, in theory, be anything without something to somehow tie it to ground.  If you have it disconnected, don't read from it.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,462 Views)

That still doesn't explain things though.

The reading across my resistor using a voltmeter is 2.5V. When I make the same reading using the AI pin, it gives me 1.3 V.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,457 Views)
So? A dmm and a multiplexed daq card (with a pretty low input impedance) is not at all the same thing. Your reading is expected and you have been given the solution.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,454 Views)

Explain?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,450 Views)

catran wrote:

The reading across my resistor using a voltmeter is 2.5V. When I make the same reading using the AI pin, it gives me 1.3 V.

Is one side of the resistor actually tied to ground?  If not, that is not a fair comparison.  And I thought we were talking about an open to the Analog Input.  Maybe pictures of your schematic would be helpful.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,447 Views)
Solution
Accepted by catran

The 1.3 V is expected. The USB-6008 and -6009 have the world's strangest input circuit. The input impedance is about 144000 ohms terminated into 1.4 V. See the User Guide and Specifications document.

Lynn

Input 6008_9.png

Message 7 of 7
(4,443 Views)