Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Current Measurements, General Questions, PCI-6229

I've been using the 6229 board for a while doing voltage measurements and digital I/O, but now I get to work with 4-20 mA inputs.

I'm using DAQmxCreateAICurrentChan to configure the channel/create the task. After a while I figured out the 6229 does not have an internal shunt resistor so I'll use an external 250-ish ohm resistor. With the channel configured as RSE I got the sotware to complie and run, but it really seems like this should be a differential channel. If I try that, using DAQmx_Val_InputTermCfg_Diff, I get errors saying this value is not supported.

It really seems like I need to be doing this in differential mode, else, what inputs do I connect the shunt resistor to?

And as long as I'm thinking I need a diff channel, why not just use a differential voltage channel, or two RSE voltage channels, hook up the shunt resistor, and calculate the current myself?

Also, when setting up a current channel, are Min and Max specified as voltages or current?

Sorry if I sound so clueless. The manuals are great at defining things and I've ben able to do a lot using them, but sometime a little more context helps.

Mike

P.S. The 4-20 mA devie I am using is - http://www.dwyer-inst.com/Product/Pressure/DifferentialPressure/Gage-Switches-Digital/SeriesDH3/Orde...

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,868 Views)

You will need to measure VOLTAGE, not current.  What I have done for something similar is create a DAQmx Scale which does the calculation to current for me.  So you use a voltage task with a scale that will give you the results in Amps (or mA if you so desire).  Your max and min should be based on the values AFTER the scale.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,865 Views)