Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting USB6343 onboard 5v to AI 4 5 6 7 through 4 switches and AI GND results in floating signals and noise

Hey,

I am connecting USB6343's onboard 5v source to AI 4 5 6 7 through 4 switches (and AI GND).  This results in floating signals and sinusoidal noise when i close the switches and not the expected 0v / 5v.

I merely want to report on or off for each switch connected to the AI terminals, what very obvious step am I missing?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,521 Views)

A 10k-100k pull down resistor from AIx to AIGND 🙂

Have a look in the manual about voltage measurement and input bias resistors.

And if you look into the manual at page 6-23 you see how to do that with a DI  , here with a pull up resisitor (same value range) and a switch to GND.

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

Message 2 of 7
(4,518 Views)

I'd like to do the same thing (reading a switch on a USB-6343) and had the same idea as Henrik_Volkers, but am confused, as the manual also says (page 3-4):

Caution Never connect the +5 V power terminals to analog or digital ground or to
any other voltage source on the X Series device or any other device. Doing so can
damage the device and the computer. NI is not liable for damage resulting from such
a connection.

In my low understanding of electronics this is a contradiction to page 6-23, where it shows that a +5V power terminals is connected to DGND, as soon as the switch closes. Would somebody be so kind to explain what I'm getting wrong?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,957 Views)

Look at the diagram a little closer on 6-23.  There is a resistor in series with the +5V before the switch.  This resistor limits the current going into the digital input, preventing any damage.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 4 of 7
(3,950 Views)
Thank you crossrulz! I didn't remember that's the sign for resistor (sorry, I'm a real beginner with all this).

I hope it's okay to add another more or less stupid question? Is my assumption correct, that I need a resistor with min.20 kΩ, as on page 8 of the specifications of the USB-6343 it says:

Digital I/O Characteristics
I_IH input hight current (V_IN=5V).....................250µA

?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,943 Views)

That 20k is the minimum built-in pull down resistor in the daq board.  You need to make sure there are at least 2.2V going into the pin of the daq board to ensure it can read a high level.  So I would use something more like a 10k resistor to act as the 5V series resistor (about 3.3V will be going into the DAQ based on 5V, 10k series, and 20k pull down).

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 6 of 7
(3,932 Views)

I'd like to ask further questions, but being new to the forum, I'm not fully familiar with the customs, so please tell me if I should open a new topic or if it's okay, to bundle questions (if related).

The question are: how to extend the described wiring to multiple switches (I need 10)? I attached my assumption as "Wiring 1.png".

And I guess "Wiring 2" wouldn't work as it'd be how the topic-opener artaxerxes did it?

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,900 Views)