Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer can't connect to mydaq

Good morning all,

I see that there has not been a response on this thread for a few months but I'm having a very similar problem as OP.  My NI myDAQ is recognized by NI MAX but when I use an intrument (DMM for example) in NI Elvis it does not see the DAQ.  I've done a few things to try to resolve but it hasn't changed the situation.  The DAQ works on a different computer and all other USB peripherals work on the computer in question.  I would really like to be able to work on my home computer with my DAQ and not have to take my work computer home every night.  At this point I'm just looking for suggestions on what I should try next because I'm out of ideas and on the bring of refreshing the entire computer, it probably needs it anyway as it's been a couple years.  Here is a list of what I've done, system is Win7 Home Premium w/ all updates applies, 6Gb RAM:

Went to Control Panel>>Programs & Features>>NI Software>>Repaired all instances that showed up there.

Test DAQ on a different computer, worked flawlessly for output via Labview and using DMM in NI Elvis for voltage and current measurements.

Tested USB ports on original computer with other peripherals, all worked.

Used NI Updater and applied the two available updates, reboot.

Installed NI ELVISmx 4.5 (I believe), reboot.

Installed NI DAQmx 9.9, reboot.

NI MAX now detest NI myDAQ as USB connection but I get error that NI configuration manager service is stopped.

Control Panel>>Administrative Tools>>Services>>Restart NI configuration manager service.  It starts and stays running.

Close all instances of NI Elvis, Labview, and other open windows.

Start DMM again, still says no compatible device.

Reboot computer, connect myDAQ, start DMM, does not recognize device.  Checked services and all NI services are running, checked NI MAX and it shows the myDAQ connected via USB.

What next?  I'm not sure I know the difference between NI ELVIS and NI ELVISmx, I thought my original software was NI ELVIS but when I installed the newer version it renamed everything with 'mx' after the name.

With Norton I know there is always a possiblity of communicaton errors or flubbed up firewall settings, nothing jumped out at me when I looked at it but has anyone else experienced issues with Norton Internet Security and the DAQ system?

I don't want to take the time to refresh/reinstall the OS and software but it probably couldn't hurt.

Thank you, DM

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 16
(2,034 Views)

Hello NewMC,

Lets restart the troubleshootin process from the exact beginning:

- Did it ever work correctly on your home computer?

- Do you have screenshots of all the errors you currently still get?

- Can you share a MAX Report of your system?

This will show me all the NI software you currently have installed:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/271F252B4EF0A2E0862570E70056A1E4?OpenDocument

Talking about the difference between ELVIS and ELVISmx:
- When people talk about ELVIS, then they are most likely talking about the modular NI ELVIS platform itself.

- The actual Application Software that supports both NI ELVIS hardware and NI myDAQ hardware is referred to as NI ELVISmx:
http://www.ni.com/download/ni-elvismx-4.5/4316/en/

The myDAQ hardware you probably know quite well.
The ELVIS hardware is shown over here:
http://www.ni.com/ni-elvis/what-is/

Kind Regards,
Thierry C - CLA, CTA - Senior R&D Engineer (Former Support Engineer) - National Instruments
If someone helped you, let them know. Mark as solved and/or give a kudo. 😉
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 16
(2,020 Views)

Hi Thierry,

The myDAQ did work on the computer with the original ELVISmx and other software that came with it.  It has been several months since I've used it as I didn't require it last semester and didn't have much time to play around with it.

I have a couple tests this week and need to make some progress on these labs but will absolutely send screenshots and the MAX report when I get some time.  I only have the myDAQ hardware, none of the ELVIS hardware, but thank you for the clarification and your time in answering.

Dave

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 16
(2,015 Views)

Hello Dave,

Please let me know as soon as you have that information available, then we can make sure to do some further troubleshooting.

Have you also already tried to contact your local support department via phone or e-mail?

Kind Regards,
Thierry C - CLA, CTA - Senior R&D Engineer (Former Support Engineer) - National Instruments
Message 14 of 16
(2,011 Views)

Thierry, just wanted to let you know that everything is working now so that you aren't waiting on me.  I ran the update service and it updated Labview 2012, which appears to have fixed the issue.  I just created a simple VI to generate 5V DC at AO0 and read that 5V with the ELVIS DMM.  Thanks for your quick response earlier today and your willingness to assist.  Dave

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 16
(1,998 Views)

Hello Dave,

That's great news!

If you ever run into other issues or just have questions, then please don't hesitate to let us know.

Kind Regards,
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 16
(1,994 Views)