From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Input Sampling Resolution

I am using a PCI-6221 DAQ card for sampling an input signal.  This card provides 16 bits of resolution.  I'd like to simulate a 12-bit and 10-bit D/A converter, so I'm looking for a way to change the resolution to 10 and 12 bits.  Is it possible to configure the DAQ card to use these resolutions?  Or do I need to sample at 16 bits and then change to data to simulate 10 and 12 bits?

If it's not possible to configure to use 10 or 12 bits, is there a VI I can use to simulate 16 to 12 and 10 bit conversions?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,535 Views)

Hi,

I think you first need to understand the meaning of resolution. Typically, two limits, upper and lower limit will be set by the software. if lets say you have +/- 10V and 16 bits resolution, your stepsize is 20V divided by 2^16, which is 3x10^(-4). thats the smallest difference or delta you be able to see btwn two signals. if you use say a resolution of 10 bits, you get something like  2^10(-2). Since you are only doing a simulation, why not write your own conversion VI using these principles.

Goy

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,532 Views)