cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Analog Input Sampling Rate Question

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello, 

I have been working with NI equipment and software for a long time, but I have come across something I thought I understood but I am not sure at this moment. It pretty much pertains to any Multifuction DAQ card.

My example:

I have a PCIe-6353 1 MS/s aggregate when scanning multiple channels.

When measuring Single-Ended you divide the chosen sampling rate by the number of AI channels being scanned to calculate the sampling rate per channel.

What is the case with multiple differential channels? Since two AI channels are involved in the measurement of a differential channel. Is the sample rate per channel a function of the number of analog channels or the number of differntial channels?

John O'C
Staff Test Systems Engineer
Woodward, Inc.
Skokie, Illinois, USA

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...
Wow...What a Ride!"
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,215 Views)

In any of the standard MIO boards I've used over many years, single-ended vs. differential inputs do *NOT* change the aggregate sample rate possible.

Differential mode is implemented in the board's circuitry, it's *NOT* a net effect of the driver sampling ao0 and ao8 separately in single-ended mode and then taking a software difference.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,206 Views)

So if you set up an analog input task and you set your sample rate to 100 kHz and have 16 channels being measured, All the channels in that task will be sampled at 100 kHz. Regardless of whether they are single-ended or differential.

John O'C
Woodward, Inc.
Skokie, Illinois, USA

Wow...What a Ride!"
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,200 Views)

1MHz aggregate sampling of 16 channels will actually give you a max sample rate of 1000kHz/16 channels = 62.5kHz

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,195 Views)

Correct for a faster board than yours at 100 kHz, correct for your 6353 (limited to 1 MHz aggregate) at, say, 10 kHz.  The designated channels in the channel list get sampled at the specified rate; there is no timing difference based on single-ended vs. differential configuration.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,194 Views)

crossrulz

"1MHz aggregate sampling of 16 channels will actually give you a max sample rate of 1000kHz/16 channels = 62.5kHz"

This is what I was getting at when I said sample rate per channel. Does it matter if the 16 channels are Single-ended or differntial?

John O'C
Woodward, Inc.
Skokie, Illinois, USA

Wow...What a Ride!"
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,191 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author johnoc

johnoc wrote:

This is what I was getting at when I said sample rate per channel. Does it matter if the 16 channels are Single-ended or differntial?

No, it does not.  In the hardware, the ADC is differential, it is just a matter what gets connected to the negative side (AI GND for SE, AIX- for differential).

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 7 of 8
(4,186 Views)

Thank You!

John O'C
Woodward, Inc.
Skokie, Illinois, USA

Wow...What a Ride!"
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,182 Views)