From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

9215 distorting input signal

Solved!
Go to solution

I am attempting to measure AC current by measuring a voltage drop across a resistor. Using a NI 9215 the signal looks like this and is not accurate.

NI 9215.PNG

When I hook up the same signal to a cheap-o USB 6008 the signal  looks fine and I'm measuring the same RMS voltage from my multimeter.

USB 6008.PNG

I would prefer the higher sample rate of the 9215 since we are looking for distortions in the AC signal. What am I missing here? Thanks in advance.

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,290 Views)

I can think of two possibilities.

1. The lower input impedance of the USB-6008 has some effect on the driving circuit.

2. Ground loops.

My guess is that 2 is more likely than 1, although the funky input circuit of the 6008 may be a factor there as well. The return path to ground from the AC circuit is probably different from the ground paths in the DAQ devices.  OK. I just looked at the 9215 specs and see that it has isolation. What is connected to the other channels? The input voltage range is defined as +/-10.2 V from the average of the AI- inputs for the BNC version.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,282 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author PaulG.

Hi,

Are both modules connected in differential mode?

With NI 9215, AI- always needs to be connected to COM (with 1MOhm resistor for DIFF or directly for RSE) because it is an isolated module (see specs).

USB-6008 has no isoloation, but still need bias resitors connected between AI an COM.

Maybe this is the cause of what you are seeing.

Best regards

Matej Zorko

/* A smart device is only as smart (stupid) as its programmer. */
Message 3 of 4
(4,242 Views)

When all else fails read the bleepin instructions. Smiley Surprised This makes sense. The current source is just a sensor. And floating. The 1M cleaned up the signal and measurements match those of my benchtop RMS meter. Thank you.

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,231 Views)