Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

9215 distorting input signal

Solved!
Go to solution

I am attempting to measure AC current by measuring a voltage drop across a resistor. Using a NI 9215 the signal looks like this and is not accurate.

NI 9215.PNG

When I hook up the same signal to a cheap-o USB 6008 the signal  looks fine and I'm measuring the same RMS voltage from my multimeter.

USB 6008.PNG

I would prefer the higher sample rate of the 9215 since we are looking for distortions in the AC signal. What am I missing here? Thanks in advance.

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,295 Views)

I can think of two possibilities.

1. The lower input impedance of the USB-6008 has some effect on the driving circuit.

2. Ground loops.

My guess is that 2 is more likely than 1, although the funky input circuit of the 6008 may be a factor there as well. The return path to ground from the AC circuit is probably different from the ground paths in the DAQ devices.  OK. I just looked at the 9215 specs and see that it has isolation. What is connected to the other channels? The input voltage range is defined as +/-10.2 V from the average of the AI- inputs for the BNC version.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,287 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author PaulG.

Hi,

Are both modules connected in differential mode?

With NI 9215, AI- always needs to be connected to COM (with 1MOhm resistor for DIFF or directly for RSE) because it is an isolated module (see specs).

USB-6008 has no isoloation, but still need bias resitors connected between AI an COM.

Maybe this is the cause of what you are seeing.

Best regards

Matej Zorko

/* A smart device is only as smart (stupid) as its programmer. */
Message 3 of 4
(4,247 Views)

When all else fails read the bleepin instructions. Smiley Surprised This makes sense. The current source is just a sensor. And floating. The 1M cleaned up the signal and measurements match those of my benchtop RMS meter. Thank you.

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,236 Views)