Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upgrade motion vi from Labview 7.1 to Labview 2013

Because we have to update our old Windows XP system with Labview 7.1 to a newer operating system, I tried to upgrade to Labview 2013.

The problem is that now our motion system( PXI realtime) doesn't run smooth anymore.

I generate a predefined position profile at 40Hz (This could be up to 3600s long = 144000 samples). In the loop which runs at 40Hz, the profile is corrected by a factor which is calculated every time based on a function using 2 analog input values.

Therefore I cannot use a predefined buffered contour function and adjust the velocity between 2 points so I get a smooth profile

The thing is that running this identical vi compiled with Labview 2013, it doesn't run well anymore (checked this with the interactive display on MAX, and it is very noticable.).

I this due to the old hardware, is the new Labview 2013 RT engine more demanding on the hardware ?

I have almost 2 identical systems (each having a PXI 8184 (850MHz celeron) controller, one with PXI 7340 motion controller and other with PXI 7344 motion controller).

I first want to have one system running well on the new software before I upgrade the other one.

I was thinking on changing my software to use the contour function together with the gearing function.

I would output the result of the function based on the 2 analog inputs to a analog output and use this voltage as gear input to superimpose the corrected profile.

It would be nicer to not having to reroute this value through a analog output and input but I haven't found any other solution for this.

Any help or suggestions to solve this are appreciated.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tom Versluys - Dept. of Civil Engineering, Gent University
Technologiepark 904, B-9052 Zwijnaarde (GENT), BELGIUM
TEL.: +32(0)9/264.54.87, FAX: +32(0)9/264.58.37, MAIL:Tom.Versluys@UGent.be
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(5,564 Views)

Hello Tom,

Thank you for your question over here!

Some preliminary questions:

- Can you explain to me what you mean exactly with "not running smooth anymore"?
  How do you notice this behaviour?

- What is the CPU and Memory Usage of the "2013" PXI-8184 controller when your code is running?
  You can check this by looking into the NI Distributed System Manager or connecting a screen to the ? 

- What is the CPU and Memory Usage of the "2013" PXI-8184 controller when no code is running?

It might be that some software components have been installed by default with LabVIEW 2013 RT that you might not need.

Can you send me a MAX Report of both systems (7.1 and 2013)?

This can be done via the following way:
http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/271F252B4EF0A2E0862570E70056A1E4?OpenDocument

Thanks in advance for your cooperation!

Kind Regards,
Thierry C - CLA, CTA - Senior R&D Engineer (Former Support Engineer) - National Instruments
If someone helped you, let them know. Mark as solved and/or give a kudo. 😉
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(5,547 Views)

Hello Thierry,

I have included a word document with 2 screenshots of the position & velocity from Interactive 1-D: one from the "old" Labview 7.1 system and one from the "new" Labview 2013 system. you can clearly see the difference, the input values for the motion-profile were identical.

I also include the MAX report for the Labview 2013 realtime controller.

The CPU usage for the "2013" PXI-8184 when not running is about 3%, when running its between 33% and 37%.

Memory use is about 60MB (of the 128MB).

If I run a vi on the 2013 hardware with a predefined trajectory (buffered) the motion is also smooth

Already thanks for looking into my problem

Tom

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(5,501 Views)

Small update:

I have loaded the old Ni-Max Configuration settings for the motion controller in the new controller and now the motion is smooth like with the labview 7.1 system.

It seems to be that some configuration parameter is not set correctly when doing the initialisation with the seperate RT config vi's.

This brings me back to my previous post on how to load this file on a stand-alone system.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(5,499 Views)

Hello Tom,

That seems to be indeed unusual and might require some more/further investigation.

Are you referring to the parallel thread with the "previous post":
http://forums.ni.com/t5/Motion-Control-and-Motor-Drives/loading-MAX-configuration-onto-PXI-73xx/m-p/...

If this is the case, then would it be ok if I continue in that thread?

Kind Regards,
Thierry C - CLA, CTA - Senior R&D Engineer (Former Support Engineer) - National Instruments
If someone helped you, let them know. Mark as solved and/or give a kudo. 😉
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(5,487 Views)

Hi Thierry,

Yes you may continue in the other thread you mentioned.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(5,463 Views)